- Title: Doctor
- Deputy Head of Department - Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance
- Faculty Programme Coordinator - BProfAcc, MAccCPA, MAccProf and MCorpGov -
- Qualifications: BEc LLB Macq, LLM UNSW, PhD UNSW, ACA
Areas of Expertise
- Taxation law
- Tax compliance behaviour
- Program development
Catriona has a professional background working as a senior manager in the taxation section at Ernst and Young and obtained her qualifications as a Chartered Accountant before completing a Master of Law specialising in taxation and commercial law. Whilst employed at Macquarie University, teaching taxation law at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, Catriona has also been involved in writing learning materials for the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Tax Institute as well at co-ordinating and developing Macquarie University's close relationship with CPA Australia. Catriona developed and teaches the capstone Unit in the postgraduate accounting program. Catriona is the Faculty of Business and Economics Program Director for undergraduate and postgraduate Accounting programs, and in that role is responsible for the development and currency of accounting programs at Macquarie. Catriona completed her PhD titled 'The impact of the identification and management of tax risk on the income tax compliance behaviour of large Australian corporations', and following on from that has written and researched in the area of reputational risk and tax aggressive behaviour by multinational corporations.
- Chartered Accountant with Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Chartered Tax Advisor with The Tax Institute (TIA)
- Doctor of Philosophy: (UNSW)
- Master of Law: Taxation Law (UNSW)
- CA Program: (CAANZ)
- Bachelor of Law: (Macquarie University)
- Bachelor of Economics (Macquarie University)
- Lavernicocca C. and Buchan J. (2015), "Role of Reputational Risk in Tax Decision Making by Large Companies", eJournal of Tax Research, Vol 13, No. 1, pp 5-50.
- Lavernicocca C. and McKerchar M. (2013), "The Impact of Managing Tax Risk on the Tax Compliance Behaviour of Large Australian Companies", Australian Tax Forum, 28, pp 707-723.
- Lavermicocca, C. (2011) "Tax risk management practices and their impact on tax compliance behaviour - the views of tax executives from large Australian companies", eJournal of Tax Research, Vol 9, No. 1, pp 89-115
- Lavermicocca, C. (2009) "Managing Tax Risk and Compliance", The Tax Specialist, Vol 13, No. 2, pp. 66-75
- Lavermicocca, C. "Impact of the corporate structure on an understanding of taxpayer compliance behaviour" Tax Administration: Safe Harbours and New Horizons 2008
- "Role of Reputational Risk in Tax Decision making by Large Companies" 11th International Conference on Tax Adminstration Sydney NSW 14 -15 April 2014 Winner of the Cedric Sandford Medal for Best Paper.
- MC for the "Tax Insights" session on BEPS Jointly hosted by MQ and Deloitte Sydney 26 November 2013.
- "Tax Risk Management , and Tax Compliance Behaviour: Findings from a study of Large Australian" 22nd TRN Conference, University of Exeter UK, 3-4 September 2013.
- "The Impact of Managing Tax Risk on the Tax Compliance Behaviour of Large Australian Companies" Research seminar - Curtin University, 20 March 2013.
- "Tax risk management practices and their impact on tax compliance behaviour - the views of tax executives from large Australian companies" Atax 10th International Tax Administration Conference 2012, Sydney, 3 April 2012.
- "Tax risk management in the large corporate sector" published in the conference proceedings of the Australasian tax Teachers Association Conference 2010 "Changing taxes for changing times" Hosted by the Australian School of taxation (Atax) and the School of Business Law, UNSW, Sydney, 21-22 January 2010.
- "Tax Risk Management: A review of recent developments in tax risk management and an analysis of the impact of tax risk management practices on the tax function within a large corporation." Australasian Tax Teachers Conference 2008 Hobart, Australia 23-25 January 2008.
- "Carrying on Business- Need for a Definition?" - Preparation and Presentation of a paper for the Australasian Tax Teachers Conference 2006 University of Melbourne.
- Lavermicocca C. (2015) "The Role of Reputational Risk in Tax Decision Making by Large Companies", Governance Directions Vol 67, No. 2 pp 113-115.
- Part of a team that prepared a report for the McKell Institute and "Portable Long Service Leave Scheme", 2013
- "Managing Tax Risk and Compliance" in the Black September 2011.
- Lavermicocca C. "Ethics as a Key Element of a Comprehensive and Effective Tax Risk Management System", AFAANZ 2015
- Chartered Accountant of: Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand
- Chartered Tax Advisor of: The Tax Institute Australia
Affiliations / activities
- Workshop facilitator for the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand in Australia Taxation module
- Review Tax teaching materials for the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- Workshop facilitator for the Tax Institute Australia Applied Taxation unit
- Write and review tax materials for the Tax Institute Australia
- Member of the Women in Tax group of the Tax Institute