- Title: Associate Professor
- Position: Associate Professor - Department of Marketing and Management
- Qualifications: B. Psych (Hons) University of New England, M. Org Psych, Macquarie University, PG Cert HE, Macquarie University, PhD (MGSM), FAHRI, MAPS
Areas of Expertise
- Organisational psychology, organisational behaviour, employee attitudes, leadership and workplace relationships
- Health and allied health sector workforce and employee attitudes
- Careers and employment transitions
- Organisational citizenship behaviour, organisational justice, psychological contracts
- Recruitment, selection and onboarding practices
- Employee attitudes towards governance
Denise is an organisational psychologist who joined the Faculty of Business and Economics in July 2009. Denise had previously taught undergraduate and postgraduate organisational psychology at the University of NSW and undergraduate and postgraduate human resource management at the University of Technology, Sydney.
Prior to entering academia, Denise had written one book on local government, four books on career transition, was a licensed stockbroker and founded a private employment agency. The range of public and private sector clients in both the city and country where Denise consulted includes financiers, professional service firms, consumer goods, casinos, mines, banks, oil refineries and IT firms.
Denise is married to Brian and together they have three children. Additionally, she has passed her Grade 3 saxophone exams.
- Registered Psychologist, endorsed as Organisational Psychologist with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agnecy
- PhD: (Macquarie University)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education: (Macquarie University)
- Masters of Organisation Psychology: (Macquarie Universtiy)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours): (Univeristy of New England)
Denise has been successful in attracting funding for current research projects as follows:
- A longitudinal study of the psychological contract, career and employment attitudes of regional and metropolitan residential aged care employees. With Royal Freemasons Benevolent Institution.
- MSL Health Condition Peer Support Initiative" Health Condition Support Grants Program2012-13 within the Wellbeing Integrated Care and Ageing Division of the Victoria Department of Health.
- Tackling the Allied Health Worker Crisis: A Stakeholder Perspective on Attitudes towards Career Longevity, Employee Retention and Career Re-Entry
- Denise was one of only two recipients for the Graduate Management Admissions Council's (USA) Management Education Research Institute 2009 funding, for her research on undergraduate students' attitudes towards postgraduate study. Development of the desire for graduate study: A multi-site, longitudinal investigation of undergraduates' knowledge of and aspirations for graduate study.
- Teaching teachers about teaching? Preparing MQ HDR students for teaching in an academic career.
- Action learning to embed sustainability skills in teaching and learning units in the Faculty of Business and Economics
Past grants have included:
- Undergraduate business students' attitudes towards postgraduate study*. LEAD funds to include Macquarie students in the postgraduate attitudes study.
- In search of a board of directors leadership climate: How the board of directors impacts on employee attitudes and behaviour.
- Organisational leadership: Leader-Member Exchange (LMX) relationships in the public and private sectors.
- A podcasting trial using video to encourage learning.
- Academy of Management Best Paper award for Hess, N. & Jepsen, D.M. (2008). The Psychological Contract: Investigation of Generational and Career Stage Differences. Academy of Management, Anaheim, California
- Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship for PhD at Macquarie University.
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management, Certificate of Merit award for Outstanding Performance in MSGM882 Introduction to Conflict Management and Resolution, 2002
- Macquarie University, Applied Psychology in Human Resources Management; Award for Exceptional Human Resources Management, May 2001
- Organisational behaviour, leadership, workplace relationships, organisational culture and governance
- Organisational psychology, employee attitudes
- Health and allied health workforce issues including workforce participation
- Careers, employment and tertiary education transitions
Denise is an active researcher, using both qualitative and quantitative method design. Her current projects fall into three main categories:
- Employee attitudes towards the organisation and workplace relationships, resulting in attitudinal and behavioural outcomes such as employee engagement, retention and productivity ÃÂÃÂ especially in health and allied health sector
- The impact of the board of directors on employee attitudes and behaviour
- Undergraduate students' awareness, knowledge and intentions to progress to postgraduate study.
- Varhegyi, M. M. & Jepsen, D. M. 2015 (accepted 10/11/15). Director succession planning and board effectiveness in nonprofit boards. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources.
- Harrison, B. & Jepsen, D. M. 2015. The career impact of winning an external work-related award. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 89, 21-31.
- Jepsen, D. M. & Grob, S. 2015. Sustainability in Recruitment and Selection: Building a Framework of Practices. Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 9, 160-178.
- Nguyen, N. & Jepsen, D. M. 2015. A multiple stakeholder approach to nonprofit board effectiveness: the employee perspective. International Journal of Corporate Governance, 6, 42-55.
- Jepsen, D. M., Varhegyi, M. M., Teo, S. T. (accepted 24/11/2014) The association between learning styles and perception of teaching quality. Education + Training(A, ERA 2010)
- Johns, R. & Jepsen, D. (2014, accepted 3/7/14). Sources of Occupational Stress in NSW and ACT Dentists. Australian Dental Journal (B, ERA 2010)
- Jepsen, D.M., & Spooner, K. (2014, accepted29/1/14). Publishing quality and quantity productivity of Australian Associate Professors. Employment Relations Record (C, ABDC 2013)
- Xavier,I. M., & Jepsen, D. M. (2013, in press, accepted 19/8/13). The Impact of Specific Job Stresses on Psychological Contract Breach and Violation. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries. (IF: 0.624, B Rank)
- Jepsen,D. M., Sun, J. J., Budhwar, P. S., Klehe, U. C., Krausert, A., Raghuram, S., & Valcour, P. M. (2013, in press, accepted 26/8/13). International Academic Careers: Personal reflections. International Journal of Human Resource Management. (IF: 1.04, Ranked: A)
- Jepsen,D.M. and O'Neill, M.S., (2013). "Australian hospital pharmacists reflect on career success", Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 29-31. (IF: .4, Rank: B)
- Jepsen,D.M. and Varhegyi, M.M. and Edwards, D., (2012). "Academics' attitudes towards PhD students' teaching: Preparing research higher degree students for an academic career", Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 629-645. DOI: 10.1080/1360080X.2012.727706 (Rank: B)
- Jepsen,D.M. and Rodwell, J.J., (2012). "Lack of symmetry in employees' perceptions of the psychological contract", Psychological Reports, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 820-838. DOI: 10.2466/01.07.21.28.PR0.110.3.820-838
- Hess,N. and Jepsen, D.M. and Dries, N., (2012). "Career and employer change in the age of the 'boundary less' career", Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 280-288. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvb.2011.10.009 (IF: 2.6, rank A*)
- Jepsen,D.M. and Rodwell, J., (2012). "Female Perceptions of Organizational Justice", Gender, Work and Organization, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 723-740. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0432.2010.00538.x (IF: 1.206, Rank: A)
- Ho, J., Nesbit, P. L., Jepsen, D., & Demirian, S. (2012). Extending self-leadership research to the East: Measurement equivalence of the Chinese and English versions of the MSLQ. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 15(2), 101-111. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-839X.2011.01366.x (IF: .897, Rank B)
- Jepsen,D.M. and Varhegyi, M.M., (2011). "Awareness, knowledge and intentions for postgraduate study", Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 605-617. DOI: 10.1080/1360080X.2011.621187 (Rank: B)
- Chan,S., & Jepsen, D. M. (2011). Workplace Relationships, Attitudes, and Organizational Justice: A Hospitality Shift Worker Contextual Perspective. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 10(2), 150-168. doi: 10.1080/15332845.2011.536939 (Rank: B)
- Jepsen,D. M., & Neumann, R. (2010). Undergraduate student intentions for postgraduate study. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 32(5), 455-466. doi: 10.1080/1360080x.2010.511118 DOI: 10.1080/1360080X.2010.511118 (Rank: A)
- Jepsen,D. M., & Rodwell, J. J. (2010). A Social Exchange Model of the Employment Relationship Based on Keeping Tally of the Psychological Contract. Employment Relations Record, 10(2), 20-45.
- Jepsen,D., Hine, D., Noblet, A., & Cooksey, R. (2009). Employee Ethical Attitudes: Contextual Differences and Impact on Perceived Quality of Leadership Relationships. International Employment Relations Review, 15(1), 39-52.
- Jepsen,D.M. & Rodwell, J. (2009) A New Dimension of Organizational Justice: Procedural Voice. Psychological Reports, Vol 105, p. 1-16. DOI: 10.2466/PR0.105.2.411-426
- Hess,N.L.D., & Jepsen, D. (2009). Career stage and generational differences in psychological contracts. Career Development International, Vol 14, Issue 3, p 261. DOI: 10.1108/13620430910966433 (IF: 1.043)
- Jepsen,D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2009). Justice in the Workplace: The Centrality of Social versus Judgmental Predictors of Performance Varies by Gender. International Journal of Human Resource Management. Vol 20, Issue 10, p. 2066. DOI: 10.1080/09585190903175639 (IF: 1.04, Ranked: A)
- Jepsen,D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2008). Convergent interviewing: A diagnostic technique for researchers. Management Research News, Vol 31, Issue 9, p. 650. DOI: 10.1108/01409170810898545
- Leggat, S. G., & Jepsen, D. M. (2015). Evidence-based practice. In G. E. Day & S. G. Leggat (Eds.), Leading and Managing Health Services: An Australian perspective. Port Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Noblet, A. and Jepsen, D., (2011). "A comprehensive approach to promoting justice in SMEs", Human Resource Management in Small Business: Achieving Peak Performance, pp. 291-310.
- Jepsen, D.M. (2011). Teaching teachers about teaching? Preparing Macquarie University HDR students for teaching in an academic career. Sydney: Macquarie University. ISBN978-1-74138-384-3
- Jepsen, D. M., Craig, J., & O'Neill, M. (2011). Tackling the Allied Health Worker Crisis: A Multiple Stakeholder Perspective on Career Attitudes and Longevity: Preliminary Results. Sydney: Macquarie University. ISBN978-1-74138-376-8\
- Jepsen, D. & Howden, C. (2007). Survival skills: global competition and successful strategies in process manufacturing in NSW. Report to NSW Department of Education and Training on 2007 NSW Industry Advisory Services Research Project. Sydney: Manufacturing Learning Australia
- Jepsen, D. & Langford, P.L., (2002), Best Practice Report on Employee Surveying: A Practitioners' Perspective, Sydney: Macquarie Voice Project. ISBN 0 9750141 0 2, 34 pgs.
- Turner, D. (1995). Career Transition. Sydney: Ernst & Young Consulting, 34 pages.
- Turner, D. (1981). Duaringa Shire: 100 Years of Local Government 1881 ÃÂÃÂ 1981. Rockhampton: City Printing Works, 216 pages.
- Jepsen, D.M., & O'Neill, M (2012). A Multiple Stakeholder Approach towards Allied Health Worker Careers and Career Options, Allied Health Professions Australia National Conference, Canberra, 1-3 April.
- Jepsen, D. M., Grob, S., & Metcalf, L. (2011). Sustainability in Recruitment and Selection. Academy of Management, San Antonio, 15 August 2011
- Johns, Robyn, & Jepsen, D. M. (2011). A qualitative investigation into the work demand stressors of Australian dentists. Paper presented at the International Employment Relations Association, July 2011, Singapore 2011
- Varhegyi, M.M., & Jepsen, D.M. (2010) Career certainty and career decision-making self efficacy in postgraduate study intention. 24th Annual Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Conference, Adelaide, December 2010
- Jepsen, D. M., & Rodwell, J. (2010). Distinctions between psychological contract breach and organisational justice on violation and other important outcomes. International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management, Paris, 8 July 2010
- Nguyen, N., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). A multiple stakeholder approach to non-profit board effectiveness: the employee perspective. Academy of Management, Chicago, 7 August 2009.
- Chung, A., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). Effects of conflict and cohesiveness on nonprofit board effectiveness. Academy of Management, Chicago, 7 August 2009.
- Varhegyi, M. M., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). Undergraduate student aspirations, awareness and knowledge of postgraduate study options: A cross-institutional examination. Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management, Melbourne, 2 December.
- Jepsen, D. M., Varhegyi, M. M., & Teo, S. (2009). The association between learning styles and preferred teaching styles. International Employment Relations Assn, Bangkok, 29 June.
- Varhegyi, M. M., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). Succession planning of directors in boards in Australian non-profit organisations. International Employment Relations Association, Bangkok, 29 June.
- Varhegyi, M. M., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). Undergraduate student aspirations, awareness and knowledge of postgraduate study options: A preliminary, qualitative investigation. International Employment Relations Assn 17th Annual Conference, Bangkok, 29 June.
- Chan, S., & Jepsen, D. M. (2009). Organisational Justice: A Hospitality Shift Worker Contextual Perspective. International Employment Relations Association Conference, Bangkok, 29 June.
- Jepsen, D.M., Hine, D.W., Cooksey, R.W. (2009). Differential ethical attitudes predict the quality of leadership relationships. International Employment Relations Association conference, Bangkok, 29 June.
- Dumovic, M. & Jepsen, D.M. (2009). Overall psychological contract stronger predictor than P-O fit. European Assocn of Work and Organizational Psychology, 13-16 May 2009, Spain.
- Dumovic, M. & Jepsen, D.M. (2009). Psychological contract stronger predictor than P-O fit. Western District Decision Sciences Institute, 7-11 April 2009, Hawaii.
- Jepsen, D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2009). Justice, gender and employee cognitive outcomes. 8th Australian Industrial and Organisational Psychology Conference, Sydney, June.
- Hess, N. & Jepsen, D.M. (2008). The Psychological Contract: Investigation of Generational and Career Stage Differences. Academy of Management, Anaheim, California
- Xavier, I., & Jepsen, D.M. (2008). The Impact of Specific Job Stresses on Psychological Contract Breach and Violation. Academy of Management, Anaheim, California
- Jepsen, D. M. & Neumann, R. (2008) The influence of a single semester of 3rd year study on students' intentions for a postgraduate research degree - what difference does a semester make? Australian Quality in Postgraduate Research conference, April 2008, Adelaide
- Jepsen, D. M. & Neumann, R. (2008) Third year student decision making on postgraduate study destinations. Australia New Zealand Academy of Management, Auckland
- Jepsen, D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2008). Predicting in-role and extra-role performance by gender. Pacific Employment Relations Association conference, Ballarat, 19-22 November 2008.
- Jepsen, D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2007) Organisational justice distinctions impact differentially for men and women on in-role and extra-role performance. Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Jepsen, D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2007) Gender differences in organisational justice predicting commitment, job satisfaction and turnover intentions. Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Jepsen, D. M. & Rodwell, J. (2007) Social exchange theory applied to key employee outcomes using the psychological contract, organisational justice and organizational citizenship behaviour. Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Jepsen, D.M. & Rodwell, J. (2006). A Side by Side Comparison of Two Organizational Citizenship Behavior Models and their Measures: Expanding the Construct Domain's Scope. Asia Pacific Decision Sciences Institute conference, Hong Kong.
- Jepsen, D.M. & Rodwell, J. (2006). Investigating the Dimensionality of Organizational Justice: Employees have their Voice. Asia Pacific Decision Sciences Institute conference, Hong Kong.
- Jepsen, D.M. & Rodwell, J. (2006). Employee Perceptions of The Psychological Contract are Not Symmetrical: Cautions Derived from Analyses of The Dimensionality of the Psychological Contract Inventory. Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management conference, Yeppoon, Australia.
- Dipnall, J. & Jepsen, D. (2001). Ethics in Leadership ÃÂÃÂ the internet perspective. Market Research Society of New Zealand Conference, Auckland.
Affiliations / activities
Denise is a registered psychologist, a Member of the Australian Psychological Society and a Member of the College of Organisational Psychologists. She is a Fellow of the Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI) and an elected representative on the NSW Council of AHRI. Internationally, Denise is a Member of the Society of Human Resource Management (USA) and the Society for Industrial and Organisational Psychologists. Academically Denise is a member of the Academy of Management (USA), the Australia New Zealand Academy of Management and the Career Development Association of Australia.
- Registered psychologist, NSW
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the College of Organisational Psychologists
- Executive Committee member of the College of Organisational Psychologists, 2002 to 2009
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI)
- Elected Councillor, Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI, 2003 to 2013):
- Honorary Associate, Psychology Department, Macquarie University, 2003 to 2009
- Committee, HR Graduate Certificate Industry Reference Group, TAFE NSW, 2006
- Industry and University Reference Group Committee to review assessment of new HR and OHS courses, TAFE NSW, 2007
- Member, Academy of Management (USA)
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM)
- Member, Society for Industrial and Organisational Psychology (USA)
- Member, Society of Human Resource Management (USA).
- Matt Sykes, MGSM, HR Configurations in Accounting Firms. Associate supervisor since Sept 2014
- Marija Dumovic, 2014: Longitudinal assessment of the change in the employee psychological contract.
- Julie Bajic, 2014: Clinical and Workplace Impact of Depression in Residential Aged Care Setting
- Amanda Ferguson, (Graduated April 2015). Employee Engagement in Medical Context ÃÂÃÂ Differences between Doctors and Nurses' Perceptions of Engagement. (Associate supervisor)
- Bronwen Harrison, 2011, PhD (September 2011): The Career impact of Winning an External Work-related Award, Macquarie University
- Lenore Pennington, 2011, PhD: Organizational Culture Traits Which Enable Organizational Sustainability. Macquarie Graduate School of Management (Associate Supervisor from 17 Feb 2011)
- Daniel Townsend, 2010, PhD: Onboarding ÃÂÃÂ the employee perspective
- Marjorie O'Neill, 2010, PhD: The New Late Career: A theory to explain the modern career of older workers. An interview study of older allied health professionals and survey study of home care workers. Macquarie University, Graduated: October 2014
- Robyn Johns, 2010, PhD: Occupational Stress, Burnout and reduced psychological well-being among Australian Dentists: a multi-method study extending the job demands-control-support model to incorporate coping, University of Technology, Sydney. Graduated May 2013
- Andrew Heys, PhD: Developing a Taxonomy of Australasian Law Firms Using Configurations of Human Resources and Management, Macquarie Graduate School of Management. Associate supervision, graduated April 2013
- Melinda Varhegyi, March 2009 to submission 26th October 2011, PhD: Decision-making and the desire for postgraduate study: An investigation of undergraduates' aspirations for graduate study. Macquarie University. Graduated April 2012.
- Jesus Simon-Gisbert, 2015 MRes.
- Chan, S., 2008: "Validated study of single comprehensive model of Justice, LMX and POS on employee behaviour." UNSW.
- Nguyen, N., 2008: "Employee perceptions of board effectiveness as a contributor to climate or culture." UNSW.
- Varhegyi, M., 2008: "Perceptions of succession planning in volunteer directors of boards of nonprofit organisations." UNSW.
- Chung, A., 2008: "Self-rating of board effectiveness - a comparison of multiple measures." UNSW.
- Ngai, F., 2007, "Loyalty and withdrawal: The relationship between employee loyalty, absenteeism and turnover intentions", Masters of Organisational Psychology, UNSW
- Xavier, I., 2007. "The Relationship between Job Stress and Perceived Psychological Contract Violation", Masters of Organisational Psychology, UNSW
- Dumovic, M., 2007 "The Relationship between Person-Organisation Value Congruence, Psychological Contract Inequity and Employee Attitudes", Masters of Organisational Psychology, UNSW
- Hess, N., 2007. "Investigation of generational and career stage differences: the psychological contract and organisational commitment", Masters of Organisational Psychology, UNSW.
- Supervision of professional placements program for Masters of Organisational Psychology students at MQ, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Organisational Psychology Placements Supervisor, Masters of Org Psych program, 2005.
Denise mainly teaches in the areas of human resource management and organisational behaviour. Denise has a passion for supervising masters and PhD students.
- Lecturer, tutor and LIC: HRM250 (Recruitment & Selection), MQ Semester 1, 2011
- Lecturer, tutor and LIC: HRM250 HRM (Recruitment & Selection), MQ Semesters 1, 2, 2010.
- Lecturer in Charge: HRM307 Strategic and International HRM, MQ Semester 1, 2010
- Lecturer in Charge: HRM317 Change Mgmt and Sustainability, MQ Semester 1, 2010
- Lecturer, HRM307 HRM (Issues & Processes), MQ Semester 2, 2009
- 21720 Postgraduate Human Resource Management, UTS Autumn 2009
- 21555 Undergraduate Human Resource Management, UTS Autumn 2009
- 21555 HRM, UTS Spring 2008 at KRG campus. Teaching score: 4.4 out of 5.0
- 1555 HRM, UTS Spring 2008 at City campus. Teaching score: 4.3 out of 5.0
- PSYC7129 Assessment in Organisations, Masters of Org Psych program, UNSW, 2008
- PSYC3141 Behaviour in Organisations, 3rd year psychology, UNSW, 2008.
- 21555 Human Resource Management, UTS, Sydney, Autumn 2007.
- PSYC3141 Behaviour in Organisations, 3rd year psychology, UNSW, 2007
- PSCY7101 Psychology of Organisations 2, Masters of Org Psych program, UNSW, 2007
- PSYC7001 Psychological Assessment, Masters of Org Psych program, UNSW, 2007
- PSYC1021 Introduction to Psychological Applications, UNSW, 2007 (Co-lecturer)
- 21306 Employee Relations in a Global Context, UTS, Spring 2006
- 21555 HRM, UTS, Sydney, Spring 2006. Teaching score: 4.2 out of 5.0
- 21555 HRM, UTS, Sydney, Autumn 2006. Teaching score: 4.2 out of 5.0
- BN921: Organisational Behaviour, Masters of Business Administration program, IIBIT, University of Ballarat, Sydney, 2003
- Career Counselling A: Introduction to Career Counselling. ACAP, 2001 (Designed and wrote syllabus and course, lectured)
- Career Counselling B: Advanced Career Counselling. ACAP, 2001 (Designed and wrote syllabus and course, lectured)
- Career Counselling and Assessment, ACAP, 2003 (Designed and wrote syllabus and course, lectured)
Denise lectured in undergraduate and postgraduate organisational psychology at the University of New South Wales. She moved to the University of Technology, Sydney where she taught human resource management until she joined Macquarie University in mid 2009.