- Title: Associate Professor
- Position: Associate Professor - Department of Applied Finance and Actuarial Studies
Elizabeth Sheedy is a financial risk expert based in the Applied Finance Centre where she has been teaching in Singapore and Australia for more than 20 years. Prior to joining the university she worked for Macquarie Bank and Westpac. She is responsible for all courses in the Risk Management specialisation in the well-regarded Master of Applied Finance program. In that role she has gained a broad knowledge of all aspects of risk (credit, operational, liquidity, market). A/Professor Sheedy has enjoyed a long association with RMA Australia (Risk Managers' Association) and PRMIA (Professional Risk Managers' International Association) and co-edited The Professional Risk Managers' Handbook. In previous years her research focussed on quantitative risk modelling. More recently her research focus has shifted to the role of governance and culture in determining outcomes for banks. Her current focus research interests are: risk culture, ethical culture/leadership, remuneration and experimental investigation of risk management behaviour.
I supervise M. Research and Ph.D. students investigating financial risk management, including those interested in cross-disciplinary research.
- Derivatives: The Risks That Remain, Allen & Unwin, 1997, Sydney edited with Sheelagh McCracken
- "Marketing derivatives: a question of trust" International Journal of Bank Marketing 15(1), January 1997, p. 22-31
- "Correlation in Currency Markets: A Risk-Adjusted Perspective" Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, volume 8 (1998) p. 59-82
- "Asset Allocation Decisions when Risk is Changing" The Journal of Financial Research, Fall 1999, Volume XXII, Number 3, p. 301-315 with Rob Trevor and Justin Wood
- "Agency Risk: The Forgotten Element in Financial Risk Management" Economic Papers, December 1999, p. 80-91
- "Evaluating the risk of portfolios with options" Journal of Risk, Fall 1999 Volume 2, Number 1, p. 71-91 with Rob Trevor
- The Professional Risk Manager's Handbook: A Guide to Current Theory and Best Practices edited with Carol Alexander, 2004, available at www.prmia.org
- "Corporate Use of Derivatives in Hong Kong and Singapore" Managerial Finance, 32 (2)
- "Developing a stress testing framework based on market risk models" Journal of Banking and Finance, 32 p. 2220-2236 with Carol Alexander
- "Can Risk Modeling Work?" (2010), Journal of Financial Transformation, Volume 27, p. 82-87
- "Risk Governance, Structures, Culture and Behaviour: A View from the Inside" 2014 with Barbara Griffin. Available at SSRN http://ssrn.com/abstract=2529803.
- "A Practical Guide for Non-Financial Companies When Modelling Longer-term Currency and Commodity Exposures", 2015, with Lurion De Mello and Sarah Storck. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 27(1):89-100
- "A Framework and Measure for Examining Risk Climate in Financial Institutions" 2015, with Barbara Griffin and Jennifer Barbour, forthcoming in Journal of Business and Psychology
- The Professional Risk Manager's Handbook, Volume 1, 2nd edition 2015, available at www.prmia.org