Yimin (Stephanie) Huang
- Title: Doctor
- Position: Lecturer - Department of Marketing and Management
- Qualifications: BA (Fudan), MA (Fudan), PhD (UNSW)
Areas of Expertise
- Luxury marketing and brand engagement by consumers in cross-cultural environment
- Dynamics of trust and distrust in business relationships
- Understanding and managing dynamics of business relationships and networks
- Developing and applying interpretive research methodologies for process research
- Cross-cultural studies
- Sports marketing and communications
Stephanie has a keen interest in investigating dynamics and evolution of interfirm relationships and networks with the application of interpretive research methodologies, including event-based narrative analysis and agent-based modelling. In particular, she has studied in her previous research the dynamics of trust in business relationships, which leads her to a recent research on understanding the dynamics and identifying mechanisms of distrust in interorganisational relationships.
Stephanie has been educated in China, Australia and the U.S.A. Before joining Macquarie University, Stephanie has worked as Lecturer in Marketing at UNSW and Lecturer in Marketing at Fudan University in Shanghai, China. In addition, she has taken senior managerial roles in education sectors including Director of International Affairs and Relations in the faculty of business at Fudan University and Executive Director for joint degree program between Fudan University and University of Hamburg. Her work experience also includes working for consulting, media and market research firms.
- PhD: Marketing (University of New South Wales)
- Master of Arts: Foreign Languages and Literature (Fudan University)
- Bachelor of Arts: Foreign Languages and Literature (Fudan University)
- Chief Investigator, Enterprise Partnership Scheme Research Grant between Macquarie University and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (AUD40,000), Project Title: The 'Third Way' Â A Conceptual Development and Testing of Chinese Management Practice in an International Context
- Partner Investigator, Enterprise Partnership Scheme Research Grant between Macquarie University and the Australian Self-medication Industry (AUD87,136), Project Title: Understanding the Australian Self-Medication Industry: A Footprint and Field Study
- Partner Investigator, National Social Science Foundation Grant in China (CNY180,000), Project Title: Understanding the Dynamics of Quality of Life among Migrant Workers in China: A Longitudinal Approach
- Chief Investigator, Faculty Research Starter Grant (AUD5,000) and Department Consumer Panel Funding (AUD8,000), Project Title: Understanding Consumers' Luxury Brand Engaging Experiences: A Cross-Cultural Perspective
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Faculty of Business and Economics, Macquarie University
- Annual Faculty Teaching Award, School of Management, Fudan University
- Yi Da Award for Outstanding MBA Teaching, Fudan University
Stephanie has been involved in two ARC granted research projects on business relationship evolution and cross-cultural studies of buying behaviours respectively. She is currently working on two funded research projects on cross-cultural management in Chinese companies operating overseas and luxury consumer brand engagement in emerging and established markets.
- Business relationship dynamics and evolution
- Dynamics of trust and distrust in business relationships and networks
- Event-based narrative analysis in Marketing
- Cross-cultural studies on managing business relationships and networks
- Luxury brand management
- Sports marketing and sponsorship
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang and Yong Su, Relationality in negotiations: a systematic review and propositions for future research, International Journal of Conflict Management. (forthcoming)
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang and Yong Su, Relationality in Business Negotiations: Evidence from China, Contemporary Management Research (forthcoming)
- Jie Meng, Roger Layton, Yimin Huang, Why do some consumers shop in this pharmacy for health-products? A cross-check of vulnerable characteristics and store types, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. (forthcoming)
- Jian-Min Sun, Fei Guo, Robert Jack & Yimin Huang (2015), Special issue on 'IHRM implications of the internationalization of Chinese banking and financial institutions', The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26(9), 1283-1286
- Guedouard, Sam, Yimin Huang, Con Korkofigas (2014), Towards a Process Theory of International Business Opportunity Identification: A Perspective from Small-to-Medium Enterprises, Journal of International Management Studies, Volume 14, Issue 2
- Huang, Yimin and Ian F. Wilkinson (2014), A Case Study of the Development of Trust in a Business Relation: Implications for a Dynamic Theory of Trust, Journal of Business Market Management, 7(1), 254-279
- Huang, Yimin and Ian F. Wilkinson (2013), The Dynamics and Evolution of Trust in Business Relationships, Industrial Marketing Management, 42, 455-465
- Kwok, Simon, Mark Uncles and Yimin Huang (2006), "Brand Preferences and Brand Choices among Urban Chinese Consumers: An Investigation of Country-of-Origin Effects," Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 18(3), 163-172.
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang, Yong Su, Cultural Effects on Relationality in Negotiations: An Experimental Study, Academy of Management Conference, 5-9 August, 2016, Anaheim, California, the U.S.A.
- Huang, Yimin and Ian Wilkinson, Using narrative sequence analysis to understand the development of business relations, IMP conference, 25-29 Aug 2015, Denmark
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang, Yong Su. Culturally varied relationality in buyer-supplier negotiations: A Multi-session simulation, ANZIBA 2016, 17-19 Feb, 2016, Uni of Sydney, Australia.
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang, Yong Su. Relationality in buyer-seller negotiations: Evidence from China. HR Division International Conference (sponsored by the Academy of Management), 20-22 Feb, 2016, UNSW, Asutralia.
- Cheng, Junjun, Yimin Huang, Yong Su, Zhan Wu. Exploring New Frontiers of Relationality in Negotiations: A Systematic Review. International Association of Chinese Management Research Annual Conference 15-19 June, 2016 Zhejiang Uni, Hangzhou, China.
- Guedouard, Sam, Yimin Huang and Con Korkofingas (2013), Identifying International Business Opportunities in Emerging Markets and Established Markets: Preliminary Findings, International Conference on Business, Economics, Marketing and Management Research, Tunisia, November
- Guedouard, Sam, Yimin Huang and Con Korkofingas (2013), How Does the Stage of Market Development Impact on the International Business Opportunity Identification Process? The 10th Annual Conference of the Applied Business and Entrepreneurship Association International, Honolulu, November
- Huang, Yimin and Ian F. Wilkinson (2013), Conceptualizing Dynamics of Trust in Business Relationships, Industrial and Marketing Purchase (IMP) Conference, Atlanta, the U.S.A., August
- Huang, Yimin and Hongxia Zhang (2011), How to Turn Brand Value into Sales Volume in the Beer Market in China: A Case of Tsingtao Beer, Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), December, Perth
- Huang, Yimin (2011) "Understanding Dynamics of Trust in Business Relationships", invited presentation in School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Huang, Yimin (2011) " In the Spirit of Sharing", invited presentation in Young Faculty Forum in Marketing Scholar Forum, Peking University, Beijing, China
- Huang, Yimin (2010) "What Drives the Evolution of Trust in Business Relationships", invited presentation in School of Marketing, University of Western Sydney, Australia
- Huang, Yimin (2007) "A Glimpse of Marketing Research in China", invited presentation in Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Otago, New Zealand
- Huang, Yimin, Ian Wilkinson and Louise Young (2007), A Case Study on Dynamics of Trust in Dyadic Business Relationships, Proceedings of Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, December, New Zealand.
- Huang, Yimin and Ian Wilkinson (2007), Interpreting Interpretive Research, Proceedings of Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, December, New Zealand. (nominee for best paper)
- Huang, Yimin and Ian Wilkinson (2006), Understanding Trust and Power in Business Relationships: A Dynamic Perspective, Proceedings of Industrial Marketing and Purchasing (IMP) Conference, September, Milan.
- Uncles, Mark, Yimin Huang, Simon Kwok and Cam Rungie (2006), Using the Generalized Dirichlet Model to Examine the Purchasing Behavior of Shanghai Consumers, Proceedings of INFORMS International Conference, June, Hongkong.
- Kwok, Simon, Mark Uncles and Yimin Huang (2005), Country-of-Origin Effects in China: An Investigation of Urban Chinese Consumers, Proceedings of Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, December, Perth.
- Uncles, Mark, Simon Kwok and Yimin Huang (2005), Modeling Retail Performance Using Consumer Panel Data: A Shanghai Case Study, Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Conference on Service Systems and Service Management (ICSSSM05), Chongqing University, June, China
- Member of: American Marketing Association, U.S.A
- Member of: Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy, Australia - New Zealand
- Member of: Industrial Marketing and Purchasing (IMP) Group, Europe
Affiliations / activities
- Convenor, China Business Research Network, Department of Marketing and Management, Macquarie University
- Reviewer for AMA annual conferences
- Reviewer for Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference
- Member of Editing Board of Sports Marketing Publications by Tsinghua University Press
- Principal supervisor to PhD candidate Junjun Cheng
- Associate supervisor to PhD candidate Anna Sahgal
- Associate Supervisor to PhD candidate Sam Guedouard
- Associate Supervisor to PhD candidate Camille Singh
Stephanie supervises higher-degree research students who are interested in conducting research in the following areas:
- Luxury brand management and brand engagement
- Managing business relationships and networks
- Channel management
- Trust in business relationships and networks
- Distrust in business relationships and networks
- Evolution, change and dynamics in Marketing
- Cross-cultural studies
- Principles of Marketing
- International and Global Marketing
- Marketing Communications
- Sports Marketing
- Managing Marketing Relationships
Lecturing and Tutoring
- Marketing Communications (Postgraduate program)
- Consumer Behaviour (Postgraduate program)
- International Marketing (Postgraduate program)
- Services Marketing (Undergraduate program)
- Doing Business in China (Undergraduate program)
Overview of Academic Employment
Stephanie has been Lecturer in Marketing at Fudan University from 2001 to 2005 and later Lecturer in Marketing at UNSW before joining Macquarie University. In those roles Stephanie has lectured in undergraduate, postgraduate and executive programs on a wide range of topics, including Business Communications, Advertising, Marketing Management and International Marketing.