- Title: Dr.
- Position: Senior Lecturer - Department of Marketing and Management
- Qualifications: RN, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws, Master of Laws, Graduate Diploma Legal Practice, Master of Bioethics, Certificate in Mediation and Arbitration (general and advance), Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
Areas of Expertise
- Human Resources Law (Management and Employment Law)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Administrative Law
- Health Law, Biotechnology and Law
- Occupational Health and Safety Law
- Assessment of discrimination/harassment/professional misconduct claims
- Business Ethics, Corporate Governance, Risk Management, Research Ethics
- Marketing and Media Law
Julie Zetler joined the Department of Marketing and Management as a senior lecturer in January 2011 after nearly ten years as a senior lecturer in the Department of Business Law, Division of Law, Macquarie University and some twelve years as a lecturer and senior lecturer in the Faculty of Law at UTS. At UTS Julie was appointed by the University of Technology, Sydney for four years as Deputy Student Ombudsman. In this role she was required to investigate student complaints and make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor on resolution and policy. This position was held concurrently with her academic appointment. Julie also served for three years as Faculty of Law Director of Cross-Disciplinary Program where she was responsible for the management of some twenty five staff members and was a member of the Dean's Advisory Committee, Faculty Board Member (for Law, Business and Nursing) and Convenor of the Faculty of Laws honours thesis program.
Julie has taught in undergraduate as well as postgraduate programs across a number of different areas of law, health and ethics, including: employment law, occupational health and safety, administrative law, media law, tort law, revenue law, medicine and law, business ethics and risk management and business litigation. Julie was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW in 1993 and has a strong background in health, equity/diversity and public sector policy and law. Her health background includes many years of working for the Health Department in both general medicine and psychiatry as a community mental health crisis worker. She also spent five years as an international flight attendant with Qantas Airways from 1982 to 1988. This experience increased her skills in areas of communication, adaptability, emergency procedures, conflict resolution and general workplace policy and legal practices.
As part of Julie's role at Macquarie University she developed and taught the new health law and ethics units for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Department of Health and Chiropractor, Division of Science. She has also been instrumental in developing new subjects for business law. Julie is actively involved in the university's centre for Diversity and Equity and has a strong interest in women's rights issues. In 2010 she was selected jointly by Equity and Diversity Centre and the Faculty of Business and Economics with a number of other colleagues to represent the university at a workshop run by the L H Martin Institute called 'Women in Research Leadership'.
Julie has continued to pursue her interest in health law, mental health, research ethics and women's rights issues. In the 1990s she was appointed as a part-member of the NSW Mental Health Tribunal, as well as a Conciliator with the Conciliatory Registry, NSW Health Care Complaints Commission. She is the current Chair of the Faculty of Business and Economics' Human Research Ethics Sub-Committee and also an active member of the Macquarie University Human Research Ethics Committee.
Julie is currently enrolled in a doctoral program in law through the Faculty of Law at Sydney University. Her topic area is on electronic patient health care records and its impact on confidentiality and privacy law.
- *Lumby J, Zetler J, Topic: The Image of Nursing in the Nineties: 1890 or 1990, Internal UTS Grant $5,000, 1990.
- *Zetler J, Topic: Effective Alternative Dispute Resolution within Nursing, Category 5, NSW Nurses Registration Board Scholarship Research Grant, $5,500, 1996.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, Topic: Compliance Costs Associated with New Taxation Legislation , ARC SPIRT Grant (in conjunction with Australian Tax Office), 1999 – 2005.
- R Woellner , S Graw, J Zetler , 'Attitude of University Students to Ethical Issues (2010 –ongoing)
- J Zetler , 'Baby Light my fire' from flirting to sexual predator: misbehaving in the workplace (2010 –ongoing)
- J Zetler, V Greenwood, 'Lost in Space: Impact of Sessional and Contract Employment on Academia' (2010- ongoing)
- J Zetler, V Greenwood, 'Trapped in a Time Warp; Managing the Effects of Academic Workplace Changes' (2010 – ongoing)
- Member - TWU Project – Aviation Industry and impact on safety security and OHS (current)
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, 2007, 'Can Simplified Legal Drafting Reduce the Psychological Costs of Tax Compliance? An Australian Perspective', British Tax Review Issue 6, 2007, pp717-734.
- Woellner R, Zetler J, 'Tiptoe Through the TLIPs', 2000, Electronic Commercial Law Journal of Australia.
- Julie Zetler, Rodney Bonello, Essential Law, Ethics and Professional Issues for CAM (currently work in progress, to be published 2011, Elsevier Press Australia)
- *Zetler J, 2009 "Legal Aspects of Nursing" in Kozier and Erb's Fundamentals of Nursing, Pearson Publication, Australia, Chapter 4 ,55-82.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, 2005 "Identifying the Psychological Costs of Compliance" in Fisher R and Walpole M (Eds), Global Challenges in Tax Administration, Fiscal Publication, Birmingham, pp268-287
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, 2001, "Taxation or Vexation – Measuring the Psychological Costs of Tax Compliance" in Evans C, Pope J and Hasseldine J (Eds), Tax Compliance Costs: A Festschrift for Cederic Sandford, Prospect, Sydney, pp35-50.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, 1998, "Once More Into the Breach: A study of Comparative Compliance Costs Under the 1936 and 1997 Acts: "Progress Report" in Evans C, Greenbaum A (Eds), Tax Administration – Facing Challenges of the Future, Prospect, Sydney, pp195-216.
- *Zetler J, Greenwood V, "Lost in Space": Impact of Sessional and Contract Employment on Academia, Inaugural East Asian Law and Society Conference, 5-6 February 2010.
- *Zetler J, "I'm working for the man, working for the man – I do what I can working for the man" – the impact of mental health in the modern work place, Australasian Law Teachers Association 64th Annual Conference, 5th- 8th July, 2009
- *Zetler J, "Threatening and Aggressive University Students: What are the Mental Health Issues for Staff?" Law and Medicine Interest Group, 63rd Annual Australasian Law Teachers' Association Conference (ALTA), James Cook University, Cairns, 6th July – 9th July 2008.
- *Zetler J, "Legal and Ethical Issues for Health Managers", Keynote Speaker for afternoon session Asmed, National Nursing Conference, Sydney, February 2008.
- Zetler J, "Electronic Patient Records and Privacy: Should we be Concerned?" Australasian Law Teachers' Association, July 2006.
- *Zetler J, "Legal Information for Nurses", Ausmed, National Nursing Conference, Sydney, April 2005.
- Zetler J, The Legal Implications of Drug Calculations for Nurses, Ausmed, National Nursing Conference, Sydney, February 2005.
- Zetler J, Keeping Midwives Safe from Litigation, Annual National Midwives Conference, Windsor Sydney, April 2004
- Zetler J, "E-health and the Changing Nature of the Doctor/Patient Relationship" Law and Medicine Interest Group, Australasian Law Teachers' Association (ALTA), Darwin, July 2004.
- *Zetler J, Legal Responsibilities of Nurse Managers, Human Resource Management for Middle Managers, Ausmed, National Nursing Conference, Sydney, Thursday 7th February 2003.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "Stress Less – Can Simplified Drafting Reduce Psychological Compliance Costs?", 15th Annual Australasian Tax Teachers Conference, University of Wollongong, 30th January-1st February 2003.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "Stress Less – Can simplified Drafting reduce Psychological Compliance Costs?" Tax Research Network Conference, Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge University, 6th-7th September 2002.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "Developments in the Measurement of Psychological Costs of Compliance: A Research Method" 5th International Conference on Tax Administration, ATAX, University of NSW, 4-5th April 2002.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "Measuring the Psychological Costs of Compliance: A Methodology" XXV11AREP Annual Colloquium on Economic Psychology, Bath University, Bath UK, September 6-10th 2001.
- Zetler J, "Medical Negligence: How it Effects Dermatologists" National College of Dermatologists Annual Conference, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, 2001.
- Woellner R, Coleman C, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "The Impact of Simplified Drafting on Tax Compliance Costs: Results of a Pilot Study" 12th Australasian Tax Teachers' Association Annual Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, 3-5th February 2000.
- *Zetler J, "The Use of E-mail in the Doctor/Patient Relationship", Law and Medicine Interest Group, Australasian Law Teachers' Association (ALTA) Vanuatu, 2001.
- Coleman C, Gaylard S, McKerchar M, Walpole M, Zetler J, "The Impact of TLIP on Compliance Costs" 11the Australasian Tax Teachers' Annual Conference, University of Canberra, Canberra 5-7th February 1999.
- Woellner R, Zetler J, "Sex Offenders, Children and the Law: Evidentiary and Other Problems in Australia", International Mental Health and Psychiatry Conference, Paris France 1998.
Affiliations / activities
- Member of the Australasian Law Teacher's Association
- Member of Law and Ethics Interest Group
- Member of Australasian Labour Law Association
- Member of Forensic Law and Medicine Group
- Supervisor and lecturer for the General and Advanced Certificate for Mediation and Arbitration run by Adelaide University
- Member of the Association of Arbitrators and Mediators
- Associate Member of the College of Nursing
- Tribunal Member of the New South Wales Mental Health Review Tribunal
- Member of the Health Care Complaints Commission NSW (Conciliatory Registry)
- Deputy Student University Ombudsman (UTS)
- L.H. Martin Institute – Women in Research Leadership
- National Convenor for Law and Medicine Interest Group, Australasian Law Teachers' Association (ALTA) 1998-2002.
- Referee for 'Special Edition' – UTS Law review and Santa Clara Journal of International Law 2005
- Referee for 'Administrative Tax Teachers Journal', 2008.
- Guest Lecturer Nepean Hospital, 'Essentials of Law and Ethics for Nurses' (Continuing Health Education Series) 2002, 2003
- Guest Lecturer Concord Hospital, 'Keeping up to date - Law and Ethics' (Continuing Hospital Education Series)
- AUSMED, Legal and Ethical Updates for Nurses, Conferences, 1990 through to 2007.
- 1998-2000 – Supervised honours thesis program students for Faculty of Law, UTS
- Sky News - Julie Zetler
- Peter Switzer talks to Julie Zetler about sexual harassment in the workplace on Sky News.
- Publication: Sky News
- Topic: Julie Zetler talks about sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Interviewer: Peter Switzer
- Duration: 12 minutes
- Date: 5 November 2012
- Publication: Sky News
- Smart Company Australia - Julie Zetler
Julie comments on the issue of outsourcing corporate accountability.
- Publication: Smart Company Australia
- Story: Five management scandals: What you can learn
- Issue: 9 August 2011
In line with her interest in law, ethics and health, Julie Zetler has taught Masters and Undergraduate programs in the LLB, LLM, Nursing/Health and Business Law programs. During her academic career she has taught:
- Medicine and Law
- Health Law
- Biotechnology and Law
- Employment Law
- Labour Law
- Tort Law
- Contract Law
- Business Law
- Media Law
- Marketing and Management Law
- Business Ethics and Risk Management
- Business Litigation
- Revenue Law
- Human Resources Law
- Mental Health and Disabilities Law
- Elders Law
- Commercial Law
- Law and Society
- International Human Resources Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Administrative Law
1990-2001 – lecturer-in-charge
- Medicine and Law (Undergraduate LLB and Postgraduate LLM)
- Health Law (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Media Law (undergraduate)
- Mental Health and Disabilities Law (undergraduate)
- Revenue law (undergraduate)
- Commercial Law (including Banking Law, postgraduate and undergraduate)
2000-2011 – lecturer-in-charge
- Elders Law (postgraduate)
- Health Law (undergraduate)
- Human Resources Law (undergraduate)
- Business Litigation (undergraduate)
- Business Ethics and Risk Management (undergraduate)
- Law and Society (undergraduate)
- Marketing and Management Law (undergraduate)
- International Human Resources Law (undergraduate)
- 1988 Appointed Lecturer at the Kuring-Gai College of Advanced Education
- 1990 full time Lecturer at University of Technology, Sydney
- 1996 appointed full time Senior Lecturer in Faculty of Law, at University of Technology, Sydney
- 2001 appointed full time Senior Lecturer in Department of Business Law, Division of Law, Macquarie University
- 2011 appointed full time Senior Lecturer in Department of Marketing and Management, Faculty of Business and Economics, Macquarie University.