- Title: Doctor
- Position: Senior Research Assistant - International Governance and Performance Research Centre (IGAP)
- Qualifications: MPhil, PhD (Lond)
- Ph: (61-2) 9850 4777
- Email Paul Taylor
- Fax: (+61-2) 9850-6140
- Room: 107, building:
Areas of ExpertisePaul Taylor has an MPhil and a PhD degree from University College, London. From 1976 to 1999 he taught philosophy at the University of Cape Town. After migrating to Australia in 2000 he worked in a number of research centres at Macquarie University before joining IGAP. His publications have appeared in Analysis, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Philosophical Papers, The Journal of Higher Educational Policy and Management, and other academic journals. He is also interested in the history of sport, and published a monograph on Jews and the Olympic Games with Sussex Academic Press in 2004. At IGAP he is currently engaged in research on professional scepticism.
I began my university studies at Stellenbosch University in 1968 and went on to do postgraduate work at University College, London, graduating from UCL with an MPhil degree in 1976 and a PhD in 1985. From 1976 to 2000 I taught philosophy at the University of Cape Town. After migrating to Australia I worked as a researcher in Macquarie University's International Office from 2004 to 2007 before acquiring my present position in Macquarie's Business Faculty.
My research is in the areas of philosophy (especially aesthetics and ethics) and higher education (university ranking systems, ethics, creativity, sustainability). I am also interested in the history of sport.
Published or accepted since 2004
- Jews and the Olympic Games: The Clash Between Sport and Politics (Brighton: Sussex Academic Press, 2004)
B1 Book chapters
- ‘Teaching Professional Ethics: Reflections on a Student Survey’ (with Richard Braddock,
- Peter Petocz and Anna Reid) in Tomasz Gizbert-Studnick and Mateuz Klinowski (eds)
- Law, Liberty, Morality and Rights (Warsaw: Wolters-Kluwer, 2010).
C1 Refereed journal articles
- ‘Business as usual: business students' conceptions of ethics’, International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (forthcoming).
- ‘Thinking Outside the Square: Business Students' Conceptions of Creativity’ (with Peter Petocz and Anna Reid), Creativity Research Journal, Vol. 21, No. 4 (2009)
- ‘Business Students’ Conceptions of Sustainability’ (with Anna Reid and Peter Petocz), Sustainability, Vol.1, No.3 (2009)
- ‘Sympathy and Insight in Aristotle’s Poetics’, The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Vol. 63, Issue 3 (2008)
- ‘Graduates’ Use of Spreadsheet Tools in Learning and Applying Financial Mathematics’ (with Tim Kyng), Asian Social Science, Vol. 4, No. 3 (2008)
- ‘International university ranking systems and the idea of university excellence’ (with Richard Braddock), Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, Vol. 29, Issue 3 (2007)
- ‘Commercialisation and the Function of the University’ (with Richard Braddock), International Journal of Learning, Vol.12, Issue 8 (2006)