- Title: Associate Professor
- Position: Associate Professor - Department of Economics
- Qualifications: Bachelor of Economics (Honours), Viswa Bharati University, India; Master of Economics, Viswa Bharati University, India; Doctor of Philosophy, University of New South Wales, Australia
Areas of Expertise
Welfare Economics, Development Economics
Dr Mukhopadhaya holds a PhD in Economics from the University of New South Wales. His current research interests are in income distribution analysis, welfare economics, poverty, gender, severance pay, trade relations between India and Australia, and economics of law. He also has applied interests in labour economics and the economics of education. Dr Mukhopadhaya's publications include one book, 10 book chapters, and more than 30 academic papers in international refereed journals on theoretical and empirical economics. These journals include Research on Economic Inequality, Applied Economics, Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Asian Economics, Asian Economic Journal, Economic Record, Journal of Contemporary Asia, The Developing Economies, Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, Netherland Journal of Law, International Journal of Educational Development. His consultancy clienteles include UNESCO, the World Bank and the World Health Organisation.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Systems Management with National Institute of Information Technology
- Doctor of Philosophy: Economics (University of New South Wales)
- Masters in Economics: Economics, Mathematical Economics (Viswa Bharati University)
- Bachelor in Economics (Honours): Economics, Mathematics, Statistics (Viswa Bharati University)
- Australia India Trade and Investment Relationship: Developing a Framework to Promote Sustainable Development, Macquarie University Development Research Grant, 2009-2011.
- The possibilities for closer economic ties between India and Australia in Capital Goods Industries in the WTO Regime, Macquarie University New Staff Research Grant, 2005-2006.
- Severance Pay: a Comparative Survey, World Bank 2003-2004 (with Professor Mukul Asher).
- Economic Crisis and Higher Education in Singapore, International Institute for Education and Planning, UNESCO, 2000-2001 (with Professor G. Shantakumar).
- Income Disparity in Hong Kong and Taiwan, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Singapore, 2000-2002.
- Crisis and Income Distribution in Indonesia, Ministry of Education, Government of Singapore, 2000-2001.
- Income Inequality in Singapore, Ministry of Labour, Government of Singapore, 1999.
- Multi-dimensional Poverty
- Income Distribution in India and China
- India-Australia Bilateral Trade
- Severance Pay
- Child Labour
- Pension reform and ageing community
- Women, Empowerment and Poverty
- Women as marginal workers in informal mining and quarrying, India: A preliminary analysis, Forthcoming, Journal of Asia Pacific Economy (with K. Lahiri-Dutt).
- A Brief Survey on Some Issues Related to Income Distribution Analysis, forthcoming, Singapore Economic Review (with H. Vu).
- "Trends of Income Inequality in China: The Effects of Various Sources of Income", Journal of Asia Pacific Economy, 18(2), pp 304-17, 2013
- Australia - India Proposed Free Trade Agreement and Trade in Agriculture: Opportunities and Challenges", Journal of World Investment and Trade, 14 pp 167-97, 2013 (with S. Alam and R. Islam).
- "Limitations of the Theories of Non-profits and Benchmarking Services Delivery Dimensions of Poverty-reduction Programs in Rural Bangladesh", Journal of Non-Profit and Public Sector Marketing, 24: 325–350, 2012 (with T. Chowdhury).
- "Education and Child Labour: An Evaluation of National Child Labour Policy in West Bengal, India", Journal of Contemporary Asia, 42, Issue 4, 651-75, 2012 (jointly with Uttam Bhattacharyya and Craig Macmillan).
- "Assessment of Multidimensional Poverty and Effectiveness of Microfinance-driven Government and NGO Projects in the Rural Bangladesh", Journal of Socio Economics, Vol 41, Pp .500-512, 2012 (with Tamgid A Chowdhury).
- "Integrating Trade in Education Services between Australia and India: Complementarities and Challenges", Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, Vol 12 (2), pp 133-47, 2012 (Jointly with R. Islam and S. Alam).
- "Poverty Alleviation and Service Delivery: Government and Non-Government Organizations in Rural Bangladesh", Oxford Development Studies, Vol. 39, No. 4, December 2011, 427-452 (jointly with T. A. Chowdhury).
- "The General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS), Water and human rights from the perspective of developing countries", Netherlands International Law Review, LVIII: 43-75, 2011 (jointly with S. Alam and D. Randle).
- "Reassessing the Relationship between Economic Growth and Inequality", Australian Economic Papers, Vol 30 No 2, June, pp. 265-272 (jointly with Ha Vu).
- "Intellectual Property and Economic Development in India", Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 22 (4): 335-355 (jointly with Ankit Prakash and Uttam Bhattacharya), 2010.
- "Economics of Gender: the case of Singapore", Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 21(4): 339-377, 2009 (jointly with G. Shantakumar).
- Book Review: "Applied Welfare Economics", The Economic Record, 83 (262), 2007.
- "Income Disparity Trends and Data Problems in Singapore: Some Myths and Realities", The Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 17(4), 2006.
- "World Income Inequality data base (WIID) Review", Journal of Economic Inequality, 2, 229-234, 2004.
- "Wage Policy and its Effect on the Social Sector in Singapore", Problems and Perspectives in Management, 3/2004, 103-110.
- "Trends in Total and Subgroup Inequality in Singaporean Work Force", Asian Economic Journal, 17:3, September, 2003, 243-264.
- "Earning Inequality: The Singapore Case, 1974-98", Journal of Asia Pacific Economy, June 2003, Vol 8, No 2, 210-228 (with VV Rao and D. S. Banerjee).
- "Trends in Income Disparity and Equality Enhancing (?) Education Policies in the Development Stages of Singapore", International Journal of Educational Development, 2003, 23, 37-56.
- "The Ordinal and Cardinal Judgment of Social Welfare Changes in Singapore, 1982-99", The Developing Economies, XLI, 1, March 2003, 65-87.
- "The Trend of Welfare Disparity Among Subgroups of Population in Australia 1983-84 - 1993-94", Applied Economics, 2002, Volume 14, 1733-1741.
- "Efficiency Criteria and the Sen-Type Social Welfare Function", Indian Economic Journal, April-June 2001-2002.
- "A Method to Analyse Trends in Inequality by Subgroup Decomposition", Asia Africa Journal of Economics and Econometrics, June 2002, Vol. 2 no. 1: 58-66.
- "Income Inequality", in Singapore Economy in 21st Century: Issues and Strategies, (ed.) A. T. Koh, K. L. Lim, W.T. Hui, V. V. B. Rao and M. K. Chng, McGraw-Hill, 2002, 95-111 (jointly with V.V.B. Rao).
- "Impact of the Economic Crisis on Higher Education in Singapore", in Impact of the Economic Crisis on Higher Education in East Asia: Country Experiences, (ed.) N.V. Varghese, International Institute of Educational Planning, UNESCO: Paris, 2002, 157-181 (jointly with G. Shantakumar).
- Book Review: "Handbook of Development Policy and Management", Singapore Economic Review, Vol 47, No 1, 2002, 183-87.
- "The Gini Coefficient - A Note", The Indian Economic Journal, April-June, 2001. Vol. 48, No: 4: 65-67 (jointly with VV Rao).
- "Distribution of Income and Expansion of Education in Some East Asian Countries", Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, Vol. 12, No. 4: 327-357, 2001.
- "The Miracle of Low Income Inequality: Taiwan, 1976-97", Journal of Income Distribution, 2001, volume 10, number 1-2, 95-101 (jointly with V V B Rao).
- "Changing Labour Force Gender Composition and Male-Female Income Disparity in Singapore", Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 12, No. 4: 547-68, 2001.
- "The Changing Pattern of Sources of Income and its Impact on Inequality: The Method and its Application in Australia, 1975-1994", Economic Record, September, Vol 77, No 238, 2001, 242-251 (jointly with N. Podder).
- "Unfashionable Economics Selected Contributions of Amartya K. Sen: 1998 Economics Nobel Laureate", New Zealand Economic Papers, Vol 34, No. 1, June 2000, 25-52. (jointly with S. Chatterjee).
- Book Review: "Linkages between Government Spending, Growth and Poverty in Rural India", Singapore Economic Review, Vol 45, No. 1: 95-98, 2000.
- "Inequality, Poverty and Prof. Amartya Sen, Productivity, April-June, 2000, Vol 41, No. 1: 130-141.
- "Poverty Alleviation: Some Policy Recommendation", Productivity, Oct-Dec, 1997, Vol 38, No. 3: 336-350.
- "Do Poverty Alleviation Policies Matter for Rural India?", Development Bulletin, July, 1997, Vol. 42: 8-11.
- "Rural Poverty in India -- Time Trend, States' Share and Policy Implications", Productivity, April - June, Vol 35, No. 1, 1994, 148-156.
- "Population, Poverty and Employment in India", Economic and Political Weekly, April 17, 1993, 775-776.
"Economic Growth and Income Inequality in China, India and Singapore: Trends and Policy Implications", 2011, Routledge, UK (jointly with G. Shantakumar and V. V. B. Rao).
- "Gender Pay Inequality in Singapore", in G. Whitehouse (ed), Equal Pay for Women: Trends and Prospects in Cross National Perspectives, Routledge: Oxford (Jointly with G. Shantakumar), (forthcoming).
- "Demographics, Incomes and Development Issues Amongst Indians in Singapore", in K. Kesavpany, A. Mani and P. Ramasamy (eds), Rising India and Indian Communities in East Asia, Institute of South East Asian Studies: Singapore, 2008 (jointly with G. Shantakumar).
- "Inequality During an Economic Crisis: Evidence from Singapore", in Clem Tisdell (ed) Poverty, Poverty Alleviation and Social Disadvantage: Analysis, Case studies and Policies, Vol. 3 , Serial Publications: New Delhi, 2007 (jointly with Y. Chung).
- "Earnings inequality" and "Income inequality" in T. Fitzpatrick, N. Manning, G. Pascall, J. Midgely and H. Kwon (eds), The International Encyclopedia of Social Policy, Routledge, London, New York. 2006.
- "An Analysis of Severance Pay in India and Sri Lanka", (jointly with M. Asher) in Brassard, C. and Acharya, S. (eds) Labour Market: Regulation and Deregulation in Asia, Academic Foundation: New Delhi, 2006.
- "Crisis, Social Sector and Income Distribution in Singapore and Thailand", in F. Sjoholm and J Tongzon (eds), Institutional Change in Southeast Asia, pp. 91-126. RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.
- "Taxation for Environmental Efficiency and Issues of Income Distribution", (jointly with J. Thampapillai, S. M. Thangavelu and E Quah), Chapter 5 (pp 85-96) in Ashiobar, H., Deketelaere, K., Kreiser, L. and Milne. J.(eds), Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation: International and Comparative Perspectives - Volume II, Richmond Law and Tax, Richmond UK, 2005.
- "A Generalized Social Welfare Function and its Disaggregation by Components of Income: The Method and Application", Research on Economic Inequality, 2003, Vol 9, 245-264.
- "Equity, Efficiency and Social Welfare: An Application of Generalised Lorenz Dominance to New Zealand Income Data", Research on Income Inequality, 2003, Vol 9, 265-289 (with S. Chatteerjee and N. Podder).
- "Estimation and Decomposition of Social Welfare Function by Population Subgroup", Advances in Econometrics, Vol 8: 87-102, 1999. (jointly with N. Podder).
- "The Role of Psychological Altruism in Social Capital and Multidimensional Well-being", Conference on Public Happiness, St. Thomas Aquinas University, Largo Angelicum 1, Rome, Italy, 4-5 June 2013
- "Gender Inequality and Ready-Made Garment (RMG) Workers in Bangladesh", Annual Symposium on Management Operation Research and Economics, 8-9 January 2013, Taipei, Taiwan (with Al-Amin Pramanik)
- "Development of Multidimensional Gender Inequality Model for Ready-Made Garment (RMG) Workers: The Case of Bangladesh", Academic and Business Research Institute Conference 3-5 January 2013 Orlando, USA (with Al-Amin Pramanik)
- " Poverty and Ready-Made Garment (RMG) Workers in Bangladesh" USM-AUT International Conference 17-18 November 2012, Penang, Malaysia (with Al-Amin Pramanik)
- "Role of Altruism in Wellbeing", Southern Economic Association Annual Meeting 2012, 16-18 November 2012, Sheraton New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, USA (with S. Triandaru and E. Franks)
- "Economic Inequality in China: Rural Urban Dimensions", East Asian Economic Association Conference, 19-20 October 2012, Water Front Copthorne Hotel, Singapore
- "Development of Multidimensional Poverty Index for Ready-Made Garment (RMG) Workers in Bangladesh", East Asian Economic Association Conference, 19-20 October 2012, Water Front Copthorne Hotel, Singapore (with Al-Amin Paramanik)
- "Altruism and Transfer Behaviour", Warsaw International Economic Meeting (WIEM) 2012, at 44/50 Dluga St, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw, 6-8 July 2012 (with S. Triandaru and E. Franks)
- "Income Inequality Trend in China", China Income Distribution in the New Era Conference at Jinguo Garden Hotel, Beijing 6-7 January 2012, Organized by: Institute of Population and Labour Economics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
- "Some Policy Directions for Arresting China's Increasing Inequality", First Annual Workshop on Economic and Policy Development in East Asia, Bond University, Gold Coast, 13-14 October, 2011.
- "Income Inequality in China: Some Issues", Singapore Economic Review Conference, Singapore, 4-6 August, 2011.
- "Multidimensional Poverty and Efficiency of Government and NGOs in Rural Bangladesh", 4th Poverty and Social Protection Conference (organized by Tomorrow People Organization), Bangkok, Thailand, March 1-3, 2011 (with T. Chowdhury).
- "Indian Economic Disparity, Institute of Development Studies", Kolkata, India, January 12, 2011 (invited speaker)
- "Gender Bias of Government Agencies and NGOs in the Provision of Services to the Rural Poor in Bangladesh", 12th International Conference of East Asian Economic Association, October 2-3, 2010; Seoul, South Korea (with T. Chowdhury).
- "Developing and validating a multi-dimensional scale to perform efficiency analysis of the service providers in poverty alleviation programs in Bangladesh", 80th Annual Conference of Southern Economic Association, November 20-22, 2010; Atlanta, Georgia, USA (with T. Chowdhury).
- "Income Inequality in China: Exploration into measurement and trends", Global Asia Institute Speaker Series (invited speaker), 26 May, 2010, National University of Singapore (invited speaker).
- "Process Patent to Product Patent", University of Kolkata, India, March 2-4, 2010 (invited speaker).
- "Education and Child Labour in West Bengal", Indian Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, India, February, 16-17, 2009 (invited speaker).
- "Ageing and Gender Inequality in Singapore", Annual London Conference on Money, Economy and Management, Organized by World Business Institute at Imperial College, London, 3-4 July, 2008.
- "Indo-Australian Economic Relations Since 2000", Indian Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, India, February, 26-27, 2008.
- "NHA Classification, Data Collection and Interpretation", Workshop on National Health Accounts (NHA) for Pacific Island Countries, Organized by WHO at Sydney, 26-29 November, 2007 (jointly with Osmat Azzam).
- "Australia-India Bilateral Trade Relations", International Conference of Human Development and Trade, Kolkata, India, February 20-21, 2007.
- "The Indian Diaspora in Singapore: Demographics, Incomes and Development Issues", International Conference on Rising India, Singapore, 26-27 October, 2006 (invited speaker).
- "Position of Older Women: Issues and Policy Challenges in Asian Context", Singapore Economic Association Conference, Singapore, August, 2006 (invited speaker).
- "Severance Pay in India and Sri Lanka", presented at the International Conference of Regulation and Deregulation of Labour Market. Singapore, March 2004.
- "Severance Pay in Selected Asian Countries: A Survey", presented at the International Workshop on Severance Pay Reform: Towards Unemployment Savings and Retirement Accounts. Laxenberg/Vienna, November 7-8, 2003.
- "Changes in Social Welfare in Singapore", presented at 32nd Conference of Economists. Manning Clark Centre, Canberra, Australia. 29 September-1 October, 2003.
- "Taxation for environmental efficiency and issues of income distribution", National University of Singapore and University of Tokyo Joint Workshop, to be presented at National University of Singapore, 26-27 November, 2002 (jointly with Dodo Thampapillai).
- "Generalized Social Welfare Function and its Disaggregation", The Conference on Welfare and Labour Market in EU, Marseille, France, October 25-26, 2002.
- "Financial Crisis in Southeast Asia and its effects on the Social Sectors", International Conference of Economic Recovery and Reform, Faculty of Economics, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand, 28-29 October, 2002
- "Crisis, Social Sector and Income Distribution in some SE Asian Countries", Second workshop on Institutional Change in Southeast Asia in the Wake of Asian Crisis organized by Stockholm School of Economics and Department of Economics, National University of Singapore, 10-11 June 2002, Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden.
- "Did Economic Crisis affect Higher Education in Singapore", in the joint workshop organized by University of Nottingham, UK and Department of Economics, National University of Singapore, 4-5 April 2002, National University of Singapore.
- "Crisis, Social Sector and Income Distribution in some S.E. Asian Countries", First workshop on Institutional Change in Southeast Asia in the Wake of Asian Crisis organized by Stockholm School of Economics and Department of Economics, National University of Singapore, 23-24 November, 2001, National University of Singapore.
- "Social Welfare Function: A Non-Paretian Form and its Disaggregation", 16th Annual Congress of the European Economic Association, August 29 - September 1, 2001, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- "A Generalized Social Evaluation Function and its Disaggregation by Components of Income: The Method and Application", Far Eastern Econometric Conference, July 20-22, 2001, Kobe, Japan.
- "Economic Crisis and Higher Education in Singapore", UNESCO Policy Forum on Economic Crisis and Higher Education in East Asia, 29-31 January, 2001, Malaysia (with G Shantakumar).
- "An Investigation of Regional Welfare Disparity in Australia using a Generalised Social Welfare Function", Southern Economic Association Conference, Washington DC, November 12-14, 2000.
- "Income Gap and Educational Opportunity in Some South East Asian Countries: Government Efforts in Bridging Inequality", Eighth Malaysia Singapore Forum, University of Malaysia, 19-21 October, 2000.
- "The Trend of Welfare Disparity among Age Groups in Australia", Melbourne University and National University of Singapore Joint Symposium, Melbourne University, June 8, 2000.
- "A Non-Paretian Social Evaluation Function and its Disaggregation by Subgroups of Population", Auckland Institute of Technology Business School Seminar Series, New Zealand, May 21, 1999.
- "Social Evaluation Function: A Non-Paretian Form and its Disaggregation", Massey University Applied Economic Research Seminar Series, Palmerston North, New Zealand, February 2, 1999.
- "An Overview of Australian Property and Construction Industry", Asia Construct Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 14-15 October, 1998 (with Deepak Bajaj and Dennis Lenard).
- "Social Evaluation Functions: Some Alternative Forms", 25th Conference of Economists, Canberra, Australia, 23-25 September, 1996.
- "Welfare Disparity among Subgroups of Population in Australia", 24th Conference of Economists, Adelaide, Australia, 25-27 September, 1995 (with N. Podder).
- Member of: The Economic Society of Australia, Sydney Australia
- Member of: European Economic Society, Geneva Switzerland
- Ad hoc reviewer of several journals including Empirical Economics, Journal of Asian Economics, Journal of Economic Inequality, Journal of Income Distribution, Barkley Electronic Journal of Economics and Policy analysis, Singapore Economic Review, Malaysian Economic Review, Research on Economic Inequality, Asia Pacific Economic Journal, Asian Economic Bulletin, Review of Developing Economics, Journal of Asia Pacific Economy.
- Reviewer of several books by Routledge, Macmillan, Prentice Hall.
- Reviewer of Southern Economic Conference, Singapore Economic Conference, Australian Economic Conference, Ecopolitics XV Conference and European Economic Conference.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Global Asia Institute, National University of Singapore, March-July 2010.
- Secretariat, World Health Organization Workshop on National Health Accounts for Pacific Island Countries, 2007.
- Reviewer of Macquarie University New Staff Grant Applications.
- Moderator, Discussant: Wage and Labour Panel of the conference on Regulation, De-regulation and Re-regulation in Globalizing Asia, Singapore, March, 2004; Conference on Welfare and Labour Market in EU, Marseille, France, October, 2002; National University of Singapore and University of Tokyo Joint Workshop, at National University of Singapore, 26-27 November, 2002.
- Member of the editorial board of Asia Africa Journal of Economics and Econometrics.
- Research Collaboration: Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden; Nottingham School of Economics, UK; Indian Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, India; World Health Organization, Geneva
- Principal Supervisor of Osmat Azzam - "Administration of Health Accounts to Evaluate Health Sector Changes - Low and Middle Income Countries"
- Principal Supervisor of MD. Al-Amin Pramanik - "Economic Effects Of VAT In Bangladesh And Other Asia Pacific Countries"
- Principal Supervisor of Sigit Triandaru - "The role of cultural differences and morality"
- Principal Supervisor of Tamgid Ahmed Chowdhury - "Efficiency of Alternative Poverty Alleviation Programs in Bangladesh" (thesis submitted 2011).
- Principal Supervisor of Mohammod Lutful Kabir - "Poverty Reduction through Rural Non-Farm Economy (RNFE) Development in Bangladesh" (thesis submitted 2011).
- Associate Supervisor of Paul Adjei Onyina - "The Role of Microfinance in Poverty Reduction: Ghana as a case Study" (thesis submitted 2012).