- Title: Doctor
- Position: Lecturer - Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance
- Qualifications: PhD (UNSW) (2013); LLB (First Class Honours, University Medal), BInt Bus (Griffith); Grad Dip in Legal Practice (NSW College of Law), Grad Dip in Arbitration (UQ).
Areas of Expertise
- Internet Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- New Institutional Economics theory
An academic who applies New Institutional Economics theory to Internet law issues, John Selby practiced as a lawyer at Mallesons Stephen Jaques for three years prior to joining Macquarie University's Division of Law in 2002.
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner with New South Wales Law Society
- PhD: (University of New South Wales)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice: (College of Law)
- LLB (Hons 1); University Medal: (Griffith University)
- Bachelor of International Business: (Griffith University)
- Graduate Diploma in Arbitration (University of Queensland)
- Appointed in 2011 and 2012 by the Australian Research Council as a Discovery Grant Assessor on the basis of him being an "expert of international standing in his field", John has been a member of research teams awarded over $360,000 in funding through two ARC LIEF research grants.
- In 2006, John was awarded a $20,000 competitive research grant by the auDA Foundation.
- Having received several Macquarie University grants worth over $30,000 for research into diagnostic assessment techniques and improving student learning through delivering customised assessment feedback reports to students via electronic means, John has developed and implemented a software tool which has received significant student approval, some citing it as "the best feedback I've ever received", and reduced course delivery costs to an extent which exceeded its development costs.
- John is currently researching and writing a history of the regulation of the .au domain name space.
- Member of: International Society for New Institutional Economics, Paris France
- Member of: Association of Internet Researchers, Chicago USA
- Member of: Society for Empirical Legal Studies, Los Angeles USA
Affiliations / activities
- Australasian Law Teachers Association
- Internet Society of Australia
John has successfully convened and/or delivered to postgraduate and undergraduate students a variety of law courses, including:
- Electronic Commerce Law
- coaching the Macquarie University team to the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot team (ranked 5th in the world in the 2006 moot);
- International Commercial Arbitration;
- Business Dispute Resolution;
- Law in Australian Society (an introductory law subject)
In 2011, John is convening two courses: Law in Australian Society (an introductory law subject) and Business Dispute Resolution (a subject focused on the various means (including litigation, negotiation and ADR) through which commercial legal disputes are solved).
- Submission to the auDA Review of WHOIS Policy and Registrant Contact Information Policy, 2010
- "International Trade in Intellectual Property: The TRIPS Agreement", in Gillies, P. and Moens, G., (eds) International Trade and Business: Law, Policy and Ethics, (Cavendish Publishing, 2nd ed., 2009)
- Reviewer Comment: "a useful addition [to the 2nd edition of the book] and its inclusion reflects the ever increasing relevance of intellectual property to international trade and business law".
- "eBay's Paypal: Balancing Marketplace and Regulatory Regimes", Computer Law Review International 2008, 9(6), (co-authored)
- "Enhancing Trust in Online Auctions: eBay's Experience with Code and Law", Computer Law Review International, 2007, 8(6), (co-authored)
- Submission to the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts Review of the Structure and Operation of the .au Internet Domain Name, 2006
- Dr John Selby has contributed an article to The Conversation
Publication: The Conversation
Date: 27 February, 2015
Dr John Selby from the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance hasalso contributed an article to The Conversation, "White collar crime and metadata: beware of building a new honeypot"
- Dr John Selby was referenced in the Sydney Morning Herald
Publication: Sydney Morning Herald
Title: Loose lips on social media a marketer's delight
Date: December 3, 2013
Dr John Selby from the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance was referenced in the Sydney Morning Herald, commenting on how privacy concerns upset marketers' ability to mine social media content to gather market research.
- Dr John Selby appears on Channel 10's The Project
Dr John Selby from the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance appeared on Channel 10's The Project last night to discuss 'the right to be forgotten' online, relating to internet regulation of the publishing of personal details.
Source: Channel 10 - The Project
Date: October 28, 2013