- Title: Doctor
- Position: Senior Lecturer - Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance
- Qualifications: Bachelor of Accounting (Honours), Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), CPA
Areas of Expertise
Sophia Su is a senior lecturer in the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance at Macquarie University. Her teaching experience spans over eight years, and she has taught both financial and management accounting units across different universities.
Sophia's research areas include management control systems, management innovation, organisational life cycle, employee organisational commitment and academic performance appraisal. She has presented her research in both domestic and international conferences, and her research papers have been published in peer-reviewed A* and A ranking academic journals including Management Accounting Research, Studies in Higher Education and International Journal of Human Resource Management.
Sophia holds a Bachelor degree in Professional Accounting from Macquarie University with two outstanding academic performance certificates awarded. She also holds an Honours degree in Accounting with first class honours and a PhD in Accounting. Sophia is currently supervising three PhD students in the field of management accounting. Sophia is also a member of CPA Australia.
- Foundations of University Learning and Teaching with University of Western Sydney
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Accounting (Macquarie University)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours): Professional Accounting (Macquarie University)
- Bachelor of Commerce: Accounting (Macquarie University)
- Macquarie University Learning and Teaching Grant 2015 $7385.89
Improving Management Accounting Curriculum to Enhance Students' Learning and Employability Skills.
- Su, S. and Baird, K., The role of leaders in generating management innovation. Resubmitted to International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- Phan, T., Baird, K. and Su, S., The use and effectiveness of Environmental Management Accounting. Resubmitted to Australasian Journal of Environmental Management.
- Phan, T., Baird, K. and Su, S., Environmental Activity Management: its use and impact on environmental performance. Submitted to Management Accounting Research.
- Umar, M., Munir, R. and Su, S., Political Connections and Organizational Performance, Resubmitted to International Journal of Public Administration.
- Baird, K. Su, S. and Munir, R., The association between Simons' (1995) levers of control, management innovation and organisational performance, Submitted to British Accounting Review.
- Upadhaya , B., Munir, R., Blout, Y and Su, S., Differentiation Strategy and Corporate Social Responsibility: The Mediating Role of Organizational Culture, Journal of Business Research.
- Upadhaya , B., Munir, R., Blout, Y and Su, S., Adoption of Corporate Social Responsibility: A diffusion of innovation perspective, Journal of Business Ethics.
- Upadhaya , B., Munir, R., Blout, Y and Su, S., The Role of Interactive and Diagnostic Control Systems on the Association between Corporate Social Responsibility and Organisational Performance, The British Accounting Review.
- Ferdousi, F., Baird, K., Munir, R. and Su, S., The effectiveness of quality management in a developing economy, International Journal of Operations and Production Management.
- Ferdousi, F., Baird, K., Munir, R. and Su, S., Associations between organisational factors, TQM and competitive advantage, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management.
- Su, S. and Baird, K. (Forthcoming) The role of leaders in achieving organisational outcomes, Personnel Review.
- Su, S., Baird, K. and Schoch, H. (Forthcoming) Management control systems: The role of interactive and diagnostic approaches from an organizational life cycle perspective, Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change.
- Su, S and Baird K. (Forthcoming) The association between performance appraisal systems, work-related attitudes and academic performance. Financial Accountability and Management.
- Ferdousi, F., Baird, K., Munir, R. and Su S. (2016) "The effect of institutional pressures on quality management", Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review, Vol.12, No.1.
- Su, S. and Baird, K. (Forthcoming) The impact of collegiality amongst Australian accounting academics on work-related attitudes and academic performance. Studies in higher eduction.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Schoch, H. (2015) Management control system effectiveness: the association between types of controls with employee organizationalcommitment across organisational life cycle stages,Pacific Accounting Review. 27(1): 22-50.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Schoch, H. (2015),The Moderating Effect of Organisational Life Cycle Stages on the Association between the Interactive and Diagnostic Approaches to Using Controls with Organisational Performance. Management Accounting Research, 26: 40-53.
- Su, S., Baird, K., & Blair, W. (2013). Employee organizational commitment in the Australian public sector. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24 (2), 243-264.
- Su, S. Baird, K. M., & Schoch, H. P. (2013)*. Management control systems from an organisational life cycle perspective : the role of input, behaviour and output controls. Journal of Management & Organization, 19 (5), 635-658.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Blair B. (2009). Employee organizational commitment: the influence of cultural and organizational factors in the Australian manufacturing industry. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20 (12), pp.2494-2516.
- Ferdousi, F, Baird, K, Munir, R. and Su, Su. (2015) The Influence of Institutional Pressures on the adoption of QM in Developing Economy, The First Biennial Bangladesh Academy of Business Administration Conference, Bangladesh.
- Upadhaya , B., Munir, R., Blount, Y and Su, S. (2014), "Adoption of Corporate Social Responsibility: A diffusion of innovation perspective". Social and Environmental Accounting Research (CSEAR) Conference, Fife, Scotland.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Schoch, H. (2011) Management control systems from an organizational perspective: the role of input, behaviour and output controls. Annual Meeting of American Accounting Association, Denver, U.S.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Schoch, H. (2010) The use of controls from an organizational life cycle perspective: interactive versus diagnostic approaches. Accounting & Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Su, S., Baird, K. & Blair, B. (2008) Employee organizational commitment: the influence of cultural and organizational factors in the Australian manufacturing industry. Asian and Pacific Conference, Paris, France
- A Member of: CPA Australia, Sydney Australia
2013 – Current
PhD supervision –Farhana Ferdousi: An Empirical Investigation on the Implementation of Total Quality Management in the Garments Sector of Bangladesh
2013 – Current
PhD supervision – Bedanand Upadhaya: Association between Corporate Social Responsibility and Organisational Performance.
2011 – Current
PhD supervision – Thanh Nguyet Phan: Environmental management accounting in Australia.
Other HDR supervision
Master by research - Moeen Cheema: The association between political connection and firm performance
- Accounting Information for Managers
- Contemporary Management Accounting
- Financial Accounting Application
- Financial Management
- Fundamentals of Management and Accounting
- Organizational Planning and Control