Wing Siang Chang
- Title: Mr
- Position: Adjunct Lecturer - Department of Applied Finance and Actuarial Studies
- Unit Name: AFIN837: Capital Markets
- Qualifications: BEng, MBA, MCom(Acct), MCom(Tax) MAppFin FCPA FAIBF, FSIA
- Ph: (61-2) 9850 8526
- Email Wing Siang Chang
- Fax: (+61-2) 9850-9956
Siang has nearly thirty years of experience in both the engineering and commercial sectors. Prior to his conversion to the commercial discipline, he was involved in the design, construction and commissioning of multimillion-dollar engineering projects in various parts of New Zealand and Australia.
In the mid-80s, he was a member of several government and business delegations to the People's Republic of China, negotiating with the provincial governments in the provision of engineering services. The interactions with the senior government officials, the provincial governments, and the chief executives of companies provided the foretaste of high finance for Siang, which led him to join the Treasury Group of a large government organisation.
Over the years, Siang took on important roles in the management of debt and investment portfolios, up to $6 billion at its peak. He was also in charge of interest rate risk management, performance benchmarking, project financing, treasury accounting and settlement, and eventually became the Treasury Manager of the group.
From the time he switched from engineering to commerce about 15 years ago, Siang was actively involved with lecturing, consulting and public speaking at a number of universities and institutions. He is currently the Chairperson of the "Futures" and "Options" courses, and a task force member of the "Applied Valuation" course at the Securities Institutes of Australia. He has lectured in many finance and economic courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels - including Corporate Finance, International Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate Financial Analysis and Economics. He has participated as a Financial Specialist/Consultant with World Bank projects in China, India and many other countries, and was invited to address overseas delegations occasionally.
Siang is also Chairman of two companies. One of the companies owns a multi-stall produce market, and the other provides accounting, finance and tax services. The practical experience that he has acquired from small to large businesses, and the many academic pursuits have provided Siang with a strong foundation on which to deliver his lectures.
- Certificate IV in Financial Services (Finance/Mortgage Broking): (Archer College)
- Master of Commerce: (University of New South Wales)
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment: (Securities Institute of Australia)
- Master of Commerce: (Sydney University)
- Fellow of: CPA Australia (FCPA), Australia
- Specialist in Treasury of: CPA Australia, Australia
- Senior Fellow of: Financial Services Institute of Australasia (SF Fin), Australia