Mid Candidature Review
What is it about?
- Sustained satisfactory progress leading to timely HDR completions benefits candidates, supervisors, FBE and Macquarie University. To support candidates in their research study, the faculty has initiated HDR Mid-Candidature Reviews. The purpose of these reviews is to identify any support issues that need to be addressed and to put in place a completion time line.
- The Mid-Candidature review takes place 1.5 to 2 years (effective full time) into the PhD candidature.
- It is a 20 minute meeting with a panel consisting of the Departmental HDR Coordinator, supervisors, Associate Dean HDR and the HDR Manager. The Head of Department may also attend.
- The HDR Manager sends a Gmail appointment to the candidate's and panel member's university email accounts.
- The invitees accept the appointment to indicate their availability to attend.
- The candidate prepares the following documents: (see PhD progress template)
- list of completed tasks, including state of completion (example: data collection 50% complete)
- list of publications to date
- list of tasks remaining and the time line for their completion
- The candidate sends the documents at least 3 days prior to the meeting to all the invitees.
- The list of invitees is visible in the Gmail calendar appointment. The candidate prints out the documents (1 copy for each panel member) and brings them to the meeting.
- At the meeting the panel may make recommendations about the allocation of support to help the candidate achieve a timely completion or may schedule additonal tasks for completion by the candidate. A follow up meeting may be scheduled.