Student Computing Labs
All Faculty of Business and Economics Student Computing Labs are located in Building E4B. As some labs have restricted access, students may find the following table a helpful guide
|102||24 PCs + 1 Printer||All students|
|104||24 PCs + 1 Printer||All students|
|111||35 PCs + 1 Printer||All students|
|118||80 PCs + 2 Printers||All students|
|206||36 PCs + 1 Printer||Postgraduate Students only|
|208||35 PCs + 1 Printer||All students|
|214||80 PCs + 2 Printers||All students|
|306||36 PCs + 1 Printer||Postgraduate Students only|
Students should be aware that classes will be scheduled intermittently in these rooms. During these times, students not involved in the relevant classes must immediately vacate the rooms, and refrain from taking any action that may disrupt a class in progress. Students may occupy rooms for individual coursework when no classes are scheduled, subject to both the access restriction listed above, and the Conditions of Use stated below.
Normally, Student Computing Labs will be open during the following times:
|8:00am – 10:00pm||Mon – Fri|
|9:00am – 5:00pm||Sat & Sun|
|9:00am – 7:00pm||Mon – Fri|
|9:00am – 5:00pm||Sat & Sun|
Term times include normal semester teaching periods only; periods outside of this include exam periods and mid-semester, mid-year, start and end-of-year breaks. Specific labs may be closed when demand is low, or for maintenance purposes.
Method of Access:
Access to these facilities will be via individual student user accounts. Login usernames are students ID numbers. Passwords for these accounts are synchronised with students’ MyMQ passwords; this is the one used to access the Student Portal. Students who have changed their password via the Student Portal should use their current password. For new students, and those who have not changed their password via the student portal, it will be the two characters supplied at enrolment followed by their date of birth. As a safety net, generic accounts will be available until the mid-semester break to assist students who may experience initial login problems.
Student Computing Laboratory Demonstrators will be available to assist students with computing related problems. However, they will not respond to course related, or other academic or administrative, issues.
Undergraduate access will be granted on a semester basis for students enrolled in current approved units only.
Students will be provided with a Home Directory (Q:) to store files related to coursework for approved units. At the end of each semester, undergraduate accounts will be disabled, and all data will be removed.
Students should keep external copies of all files stored on their Home Directories (Q:). The University will not be liable for any loss of data.
Conditions of Use:
The University has limited resources with which to provide for the IT requirements of its students. To best guard the interests of all of our students, our aim is to maintain high availability and functional consistency of equipment. However, this can be compromised by student misuse. Hence, students are expected to act responsibly at all times when utilising University IT facilities. In particular, they are expected to comply with the following:
- These facilities are provided for use exclusively for coursework in units offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics, and other specified units that have been authorised to use these rooms.
- Student ID cards must be displayed at all times.
- These facilities must be used in accordance with University and Faculty policies and rules relevant at the time.
- The University reserves the right to monitor all student activities from these facilities.
- Attempting to alter the normal function, tampering with or removing any equipment or consumables will be deemed an act of vandalism, and will be dealt with accordingly.
- Accessing inappropriate web sites, or downloading inappropriate material, are not permitted. Material that is not related to coursework in units authorised to use these facilities is deemed to be inappropriate.
- Students must adhere to all instructions from Demonstrators and other officers of the University given in the course of their duty.
Non-compliance with these conditions may result in disciplinary action without further notice.