Career and Employment Service
Career service dedicated to you
The Faculty of Business and Economics has dedicated staff from the Career and Employment Service to support your specific career development needs.
- Skills Workshops - topics include writing resumes, interview preparation and online applications. We even invite employers to run some of these sessions!
- Career Events - Employment Fairs early in each semester plus department-specific events like Kick-start Your Career in Accounting, Careers in Marketing and Careers in Finance.
- Online job search via CareerHub - Employers advertise work experience and job vacancies on this site, students apply directly.
- Career Consultations - You can make an appointment to discuss your career options and goals with one of our Career Advisors.
In the first instance, register with CareerHub in order to book in for a workshop or event, and to make an appointment.
What Employers Want
Successful engagement at university is not only about earning good marks - most employers are looking for a 'well-rounded' graduate.
According to Graduate Careers Australia, the top 10 skills and personal attributes employers look for in graduates are:
- Interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Passion, knowledge of the industry, drive, commitment and attitude
- Critical reasoning and analytical skills, problem solving, lateral thinking and technical skills
- Calibre of academic results
- Teamwork skills
- Work experience (paid or voluntary)
- Cultural alignment, values fit
- Emotional intelligence
- Leadership skills
- Extracurricular activities (eg through sporting and community activities, active membership of University clubs and societies)
When you develop these 'employability' skills at university (by being involved in activities as well as paid and unpaid work), you can give future employers solid evidence of how you have used your skills effectively.
News & Events
- Barclays' Internship Networking Breakfast
Barclays is on a journey. One that will give you many opportunities to make a positive impact across our business.
- MFA - Administration and Events Assistant
Administration and day to day operations of the Media Federation of Australia's NGEN program and internal support for the MFA office and other MFA programs.
- Career Advice
Find great career advice at careerplayer's YouTube channel
- Marketing Shadow Internship
Macquarie Centre is Sydney's newest fashion destination, having just unveiled the final stage of its $440 million two-year re development in October 2014.
- Munich Re 2 Graduate Positions - Sydney based
Munich Reinsurance is a major international reinsurer and financial services provider with more than 46,000 staff in over 50 countries. We are seeking two enthusiastic and dedicated Graduates to join the Life division within our Sydney office.
- MFA Intern Program
Do you have a passion for media and advertising?
- The Iconic HR Internship 2015
The position will be based at THE ICONIC Sydney Office and the successful candidate will work 2 days per week for 6 weeks (March – June) 2015
- KICC Program 2014
Win a trip to Dubai with KPMG!
- Microsoft Internship Opportunity
The Microsoft team is looking for Sales and Marketing Intern. Get in quick, applications close on the 12th September!
- Hilti Corporation is now Recruiting!
Jumpstart your global career with Hilti Corporation in Asia.
- Industry on Campus
This September many fantastic professionals from within the Accounting, Marketing/Media and Human Resources industry will be coming to visit us to share their experience and knowledge.
- Accounting Career Snapshot - Institute of Charted Accountants
Network with potential employers... Learn what you need to know & do to become an accountant... Free event, with food & drinks provided...
Oh, and be entered into the draw to win an Apple iPad Air!
- Industry on Campus
This August many fantastic companies will be coming to visit us! Companies include Microsoft, Suncorp and Uniqlo.
- Adecco Australia/Microsoft on campus
Your chance to receive career coaching, general interview/resume preparation and job hunting advice from professionals.
- Macquarie Capital Innovative Students award
Find out how you could win $25,000 in this years Innovative Student award.
Applications close 28 April 2014
- Way to Work 2014
Adecco Australia invites you to come along on April 30th 2014 for an interactive day of career coaching, general interview/resume preparation and job hunting advice.
- Johnson & Johnson Finance Leadership Development Program
Johnson & Johnson are looking for next year's intake of future finance leaders to join their Finance Leadership Development Program (FLDP).
- Career Events (Week 4)
Career events for FBE students
- Microsoft Opportunity for Female Undergrads
Join female leaders & hear their stories at our 2014 Tech Femme event
- Can you solve the CommBank challenge?
You could win a MacBook Air. This Competition is now closed.
Develop employability skills via:
- Working, volunteering or interning
- Undertaking a PACE unit (work integrated learning)
- Going on Student Exchange
- Becoming involved with Student Groups
- Participating in a Mentoring Program
- Completing the Global Leadership Program
Students who enrol in PACE Units undertake a variety of experiences, from engaging with business and government partners on campus to organising their own internship in a commercial or community environment (locally or internationally).
Students who participate in Competitions, undertake an internship or are involved in a mentoring program may also be able to enrol in a PACE Unit to receive academic credit for their experience.
There may be an opportunity for you to undertake PACE units from another Faculty as an elective, check the MQ Handbook for a list of units.