- Position: PhD Student - Department of Economics
- Principal supervisor: Dr Jordi McKenzie
- Associate supervisor: Dr Fazeel Mohamed
- Thesis title: Analysing the effects of subsidies in Eastern Europe within the Agricultural Sector
- Abstract: In light of recent reforms to the European Union’s (EU) Common Agricultural Policy, this study investigates the effects agricultural subsidies have had on Eastern European nations total factor productivity (TFP). Following Olley and Pakes (1992), this paper will extend the study by Rizov et al. (2013) and analyse particular agricultural markets, including field crops, dairy, granivores, other permanent crops, other grazing livestock and mixed farms. Using data from the Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN), the effect EU subsidies have had within the Eastern European agricultural sector will be observed, and whether they contribute positively or negatively to TFP.