Congratulations Dr. Coleman
From the Archive
News created: 28 Sep 2011
Congratulations to Dr. Tony Coleman who was awarded an honourary doctorate in Business by Macquarie University Vice Chancellor, Professor Steven Schwartz at the recent 2011 graduation ceremony.
Dr. Coleman is a former alumni and currently an Industry Advisory Board member for the Faculty of Business and Economics.
Dr Coleman also gave the graduate address, where he addressed his time as a student at the University both through the completion of an Actuarial studies degree and an MBA completed at the Macquarie Graduate School of Management (MGSM).
He also spoke about his various career roles (as a senior corporate advisor and chief risk officer), his love of the environment and working with the World Wildlife Fund.
Dr. Coleman's key message to the 2011 graduating students centered around being passionate about what you do and to challenge yourself if every day was your last.
Dr. Coleman's top 6 tips were:
- Tell it like it is. Guard your reputation as it is paramount
- Ask yourself, will this matter in a month's time? Take a stand on something that is worthwhile
- Do not be afraid to be different
- Focus on the issues at hand that you can add value to
- Take a multi disciplinary approach and engage with others so that you can learn from them
- Take care to communicate difficult concepts to all involved and find away to explain ideas.
Image: Executive Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics Professor Mark Gabbott and Dr. Tony Coleman.