Dean's Excellence Awards
The Dean's Excellence Awards was initiated to celebrate the achievements of students within the Faculty of Business and Economics.
This year, the awards evening will was held at The Maritime Museum on the 16th May and brought together our students, academics and industry partners to acknowledge the accomplishment of our high achieving students for 2012.
Overall, 2012 proved to be a commendable year for our students with over 500 merit awards given to our high achievers. Some outstanding academic achievements for the year were:
- 303 students received a GPA between 3.75 - 3.99
- 122 received a GPA of 4.0, which is a perfect score
- 145 were awarded department certificates for achieving top marks in business and economics units.
This year, there are approximately 60 industry sponsored awards from various organisations including:
- Certified Practising Accountants Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Ernst & Young
- Australian Taxation Office
- KPMG Actuaries
- Towers Watson
- Australian Finance Conference
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd
- Suncorp Group Employees Council
- The Co-Op Bookshop
- John Wiley & Sons
- The Nielsen Company
- Holocentric Pty Ltd
- Cengage Learning
- Beiersdorf Australia
- Australian Marketing Institute
- Deutsche Bank
These prizes comprise of monetary contributions, internships, vouchers and are awarded to the top students in various business and economics units.
Guest speakers for the evening:
Prof. Paul Clitheroe
Professor and Chair in Financial Literacy of Macquarie University
- CPA Australia Career Expo
CPA Australia Career Expo is the essential event for students and graduates seeking a career in the accounting and finance industry.
- Dr John Selby appointed as Australian ambassador for the United Nations' Internet Governance Forum
Having chaired a workshop on whether Australia should consider introducing a right to be forgotten into its privacy laws at the Australian preparatory conference held in Melbourne, Dr John Selby was appointed as an Australian Ambassador to the Internet Governance Forum held in Indonesia in October 2013
- Dr Catriona Lavermicocca awarded the Cedric Sandford Medal for Best Conference Paper
Dr Catriona Lavermicocca awarded the Cedric Sandford Medal for Best Conference Paper
- New Accounting unit recognised with the 2014 B/HERT award in Excellence in Accounting Teaching Collaboration
An innovative new unit encouraging students and industry to collaboratively explore the breadth, scope and challenges of the accounting profession has received a national education award.