Dean's Excellence Awards
The Dean's Excellence Awards was initiated to celebrate the achievements of students within the Faculty of Business and Economics.
This year, the awards evening will was held at The Maritime Museum on the 16th May and brought together our students, academics and industry partners to acknowledge the accomplishment of our high achieving students for 2012.
Overall, 2012 proved to be a commendable year for our students with over 500 merit awards given to our high achievers. Some outstanding academic achievements for the year were:
- 303 students received a GPA between 3.75 - 3.99
- 122 received a GPA of 4.0, which is a perfect score
- 145 were awarded department certificates for achieving top marks in business and economics units.
This year, there are approximately 60 industry sponsored awards from various organisations including:
- Certified Practising Accountants Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Ernst & Young
- Australian Taxation Office
- KPMG Actuaries
- Towers Watson
- Australian Finance Conference
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd
- Suncorp Group Employees Council
- The Co-Op Bookshop
- John Wiley & Sons
- The Nielsen Company
- Holocentric Pty Ltd
- Cengage Learning
- Beiersdorf Australia
- Australian Marketing Institute
- Deutsche Bank
These prizes comprise of monetary contributions, internships, vouchers and are awarded to the top students in various business and economics units.
Guest speakers for the evening:
Prof. Paul Clitheroe
Professor and Chair in Financial Literacy of Macquarie University
- Financial Econometrics Workshop
Financial Econometrics Workshop with Professor Sebastien Laurent (IAE Aix en Provence)Modelling and Forecasting Volatility using Intraday data – from Theory to Practice, on Tuesday 16th December 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Finsia CareerConnect program
This interactive program consists of a one-on-one mini-buddy experience that teams students with a working professional within the financial services industry for career advice.
- Student Brand Champions Wanted
Spend 1-2 hours per week (on average) representing Charting Accountants Australia and New Zealand in this payed position
- GRC Institute scholarships for Master of Commerce students
The GRC Institute through Martin Tolar, Managing Director, has offered two GRC Institute Conference scholarships (valued at $2,600 each) to two high achieving students in our Master of Commerce specialisation in Financial Crime and Governance.
- Legrand Buan awarded Outstanding new PAL Leader
Macquarie University's very own Legrand Buan was awarded the title of "Outstanding New Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) Leader" at this year's National Peer Assisted Study Session (PASS) Forum held at the University of Wollongong.