Develop your career opportunities
Enhance your studies, expand your horizons and develop your career opportunities by including an internship in your Master of Commerce or Master of International Business Master of Accounting (Professional) and Master of Economics degree.
Benefits of an Internship:
- Safe, supportive way to get a taste of your future career
- Put your theoretical knowledge to the test
- Excellent addition to your resume
- Build your industry contacts through networking
- Add diversity to your study program
- Learn more about yourself and your strengths and weaknesses
- Develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork and problem-solving.
An integral part of our students' success in securing employment, is the ability for them to combine their study with work experience through the various internship units offered by Macquarie University.
Students can gain experience of Australian workplace culture and environment and contribute their academic learning, enthusiasm and fresh perspectives to the professional workplace.
Some previous internship partners:
Program Details - BUS880
Interns are required to complete a set number of internship hours and a range of academic assessments.
- Internship hours required - 150 hours (approximately 12 hours per week)
- Academic component - approximately 30 hours
- Credit points - 4 credit points (through BUS880)
- Non-graded - assessed on a pass/fail basis (will not affect student's GPA)
- Availability Session 1 and Session 2
- Support from a Workplace Supervisor and Macquarie Internship Advisor
Internship placements are limited, competitive and cannot be guaranteed. Partnerships are arranged on a best fit basis, where the needs of the organisation and the student are carefully compared and matched. Students may source their own internship placement, subject to approval from internship staff.
To be eligible for the internship program, students must:
- Have completed at least three units of their Masters degree
- Have the internship unit available as an elective in their degree, and room for it in their degree program
- Have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.6 out of 4 for their Master degree so far
- Have excellent spoken and written English
- Demonstrate that they have the potential to successfully operate in a professional environment by meeting a range of criteria in an interview with an Internship Advisor.
Students interested in participating are strongly encouraged to contact BESS located in E4B (106) first to enquire about your GPA and whether you have space in your degree to complete BUS880. Students should then contact the Postgraduate Internship Coordinator (Christine Chung) for an initial chat (Ph: 9850 4755 or email@example.com). Don't wait until you graduate to get job ready..it will be too late!
Applications for Session 1 2017 are now open. The deadline to apply is January 9th 2017.
Gaining work experience and skills was a very important stepping stone for me
"The marketing experience at my internship allowed me to get another internship opportunity in another company now which guarantees a full time employment after internship."
Sungho Do, Master of Commerce, Yahoo!7, Consumer Marketing Intern