- Title: Ms
- Position: PhD Student - Department of Economics
- Load: PhD Student Full Time
- Principal supervisor: David Throsby
- Date of submission: 28/07/2015
- Thesis title: Is Cultural Diversity Taking Place in International Trade in Arts?
Does free trade allow us to enjoy a bigger menu of cultural choices? Or does it rather crowd out national cultures and leave us nothing but Hollywood movies and pop music? While this issue has been widely and intensely discussed in the public debate, there has not been much studied academically so far, in particular, from an empirical point of view.
This thesis aims to empirically examine the relationship between cultural diversity and free trade. To do so, it attempts to introduce a measure of change in cultural diversity by using cultural trade data and trade performance indices. The potential findings are expected to allow us to judge whether cultural diversity has been improved or eroded during the period of interest as free trade has been accelerated.