- Title: Ms
- Position: PhD Student -
- Load: PhD Student Full Time
- Principal supervisor: Professor David Throsby
- Associate supervisor: Associate Professor William Bryant
- Date of submission: 08/02/2013
- Thesis title: Taste and Consumers’ Demand for Music
The thesis aims to improve demand estimation for artistic goods, in particular music. Estimating future demand is a core function of economics. Over the past decades, however, Cultural Economists and Behavioral Economists have questioned whether the dominant economic theory of consumer demand, neoclassical demand theory, is best suited for doing so: Cultural Economists have argued that artistic goods are different from other goods and hence require different treatment by economists; Behavioural Economists have found that consumers do not actually make decisions in ways assumed by neoclassical demand theory.
The thesis builds upon these two strands of economic research, Cultural and Behavioural Economics, and investigates to what extent theory and empirical research on taste in the arts and arts consumption can contribute to explaining changes in demand for artistic goods.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Zednik, Anita, Andreas Strebinger (2008), ‘Brand management models of major consulting firms, advertising agencies and market research companies: A categorisation and positioning analysis of models offered in Germany, Switzerland and Austria’, Journal of Brand Management, 15, 5: 301-11.
- Throsby, David, Anita Zednik (2008), ‘Economic and cultural value of artworks’, Macquarie Economics Research Papers, (forthcoming).
- Throsby, David, Anita Zednik (2008), ‘The value of arts and cultural activities in Australia: Survey Results’, Macquarie Economics Research Papers, 1.
- Throsby, David, Anita Zednik (2007)‚ ‘Employment and output for the cultural industries’, Macquarie Economics Research Papers, 5.
- Zednik, Anita, Andreas Strebinger (2005), Marken-Modelle der Praxis, Darstellung, Analyse und kritische Würdigung, Günter Schweiger (ed.), Werbe- und Markenforschung, Wiesbaden: Deutscher Universitäts-Verlag.
- Zednik, Anita, Andreas Strebinger (2005), ’Marken-Modelle der Praxis’, transfer Werbeforschung & Praxis, 1+2: 2.
- Zednik, Anita, Andreas Strebinger (2004), ‘Effiziente Markenführung’, Marketingjournal, Themenheft 2004, 16.
- Zednik, Anita (2005), ‘Marken-Modelle der Praxis’, „Wissenschaftlicher Markentag an der Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien“, Vienna, 24 June.