- Title: Doctor
- Position: Senior Lecturer - Department of Marketing and Management
- Qualifications: BMgt Mkt(UniSA); BMgt Hrm(UniSA); MMgt Mkt (MGSM Macq.); PHD(Macq.)
Areas of Expertise
- Social media engagement
- Online brand communities
- Consumer engagement, disengagement and negative engagement
- Customer-brand relationships
- Customer loyalty and disloyalty
Dr Bowden holds two Bachelor degrees from the University of South Australia (Marketing and HRM), a Masters of Management from MGSM (Macquarie Graduate School of Management) and a Doctorate in Marketing from Macquarie University.
Her research focus is on consumer brand engagement and its positive and negative manifestations within social media platforms, as well as traditional offline brand communication channels. This research has examined a range of service sectors including digital media, hospitality, finance, retail, telecommunications and local government. Jana has a range of current projects focusing on; the duality of engagement valences (+/-), foci of engagement (brand vs online brand community), and the way in which consumer engagement differs in terms of consumers cognition, emotion and behaviour across brand communication channels. She actively provides industry advice, consultancy and media commentary in these areas of expertise.
A recipient of the Dean's Excellence award (Early Career Research) for her services marketing publication output, Jana has published in a range of journals including the Journal of Service Theory and Practice, Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice, Journal of Marketing Management, and Marketing Intelligence and Planning.
For her teaching at Macquarie University, Jana has been awarded a range of Faculty awards and most notably one of ten Government level early career teacher awards by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council for "Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning."
Prior to her academic career Jana worked in market research consultancy roles and pharmaceutical brand management.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Marketing (Macquarie University)
- Master of Management: Marketing (Macquarie Graduate School of Management)
- Bachelor of Management: Marketing & Human Resource Management (University of South Australia)
- 2016: The Black Box of Content Marketing, Joint funded by Tekes (Finnish Innovation Funding Agency), University of Jyvaskyla, University of Tampere, Finland, and industry partners. Led by Luoma-ago, V. Total: €880, 000 (AUD $1.2 million).
- 2013-2016 Full-Time MQRES PhD Scholarship Appointment: Customer Engagement & Community Perceptions within Council services (jointly awarded by the DVC Research and Prof R.Howitt as Director of the MQ University - Ryde Futures Partnership)
- 2012 Enterprise Partnership Grant $65,000: Customer Engagement & Community Perceptions of the City of Ryde Council (jointly funded by the City of Ryde & Macquarie University)
- 2012 Learning & Teaching LEAD Grant $9,500: International Students Perceptions of Service Quality in Higher Education (with M. Chavan and E. Lundmark)
- Learning & Teaching LEAD (Learning & Teaching) Grant $4000: Technological Engagement as a Mechanism for Value Co-creation and Student Satisfaction in Higher Education (with Steven D'Alessandro)
- Macquarie University New Staff Grant $16, 000: Loyalty to disloyalty - A Conceptual Framework & Measurement Approach in the Service Sector
- 2012 Dean's Excellence Award for Research Excellence (Early Career Research) – Faculty of Business & Economics: Award title: "As an early career researcher, Jana has published 4 publications in Services Marketing in 2011 on top of her teaching, research projects and commitment to the student's first year experience.
- 2011 Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (one of ten awards for Early Career Teachers). Citation title: "For developing a highly interactive, collaborative teaching culture that actively fosters the co-creation of knowledge, stimulates student curiosity and encourages engagement with the marketing environment".
- 201 MQ Awards for Teaching Excellence: Vice-Chancellor's Citations for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2009 Faculty Award for Learning & Teaching: Enhancement of student experience & significant contribution to the quality of student learning in Marketing Fundamentals MKTG101
- Bowden, J. Conduit, J. Hollebeek, L. Luoma-aho, V. & Solem, B. (Forthcoming 2017) “Engagement valence duality and spillover effects in online brand communities,” Journal of Service Theory and Practice (Special Issue)
- Naumann, K. Bowden, . & Gabbott, M. (Forthcoming 2017), “A multi-valenced perspective on consumer engagement within a social service,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice.
- Lievonen, M. Luoma-aho, V. Bowden, J. (Forthcoming 2017), “Negative Engagement”, Handbook of Communication Engagement Eds. K. Johnston and M. Taylor, Wiley & Sons
- Bowden, J. Conduit, J. Hollebeek, L. Luoma-aho, V. Solem, B. (Forthcoming 2017), "The role of social capital in shaping consumer engagement within online brand communities," Handbook of Communication Engagement Eds. K. Johnston and M. Taylor, Wiley & Sons.
- Bowden, J. Luoma-Aho, V. & Naumann, K. (2016), " Developing a Spectrum of positive to negative citizen engagement", Customer Engagement – Contemporary Issues and Challenges Eds. R.Brodie, L.Hollebeek & J. Conduit. Routledge, Agingdon, Oxon. ISBN 978138847385
- Bowden, J., Gabbott, T., & Naumann, K. (2015). Service relationships and the customer disengagement - engagement conundrum. Journal of Marketing Management, 31 (7-Aug), 774-806.
- Naumann, K. & Bowden-Everson, J. (2015). Exploring the process of customer engagement, self-brand connections and loyalty. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 13 (1), 56-66.
- Chavan, M., Bowden, J., Lundmark, E., Zwar, J. (2014) "Domestic Vs International Asian students Expectations and Perceptions: Higher Education Service Experience", Journal of International Education in Business, 7 (2), 150-180.
- D. Moore & Bowden, J. "An appealing connection - The role of relationship marketing in the attraction and retention of tertiary students in an Australian context", Asian Social Science (Special Issue), 8 (14).
- Bowden, J. (2013), "What's in a Relationship? Affective Commitment, Bonding and the First Year Experience", Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing & Logistics, 25(3).
- Bowden, J. Dagger, T. & Elliott, G. (2013) "Engaging Customers for Loyalty in the Restaurant Industry: The Role of Satisfaction, Trust, and Delight", Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 16 (1), pp. 52-75
- Bowden, J. & S. D'Alessandro, 2011. "Co-creating Value in Higher Education: The Role of Interactive Classroom Response Technologies", Asian Social Science (Special Issue), 7 (11), pp. 35-49.
- Bowden, J. & Wood, L. 2011 "Sex Doesn't Matter - The Role of Gender in the Formation of Student-University Relationships", Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 21 (2), pp. 133-156.
- Bowden, J. 2011. "Engaging the Student as a Customer: A Relationship Marketing Approach", Marketing Education Review, 21 (3), pp. 211
- Bowden, J. & Dagger, T. 2011 "To Delight or Not to Delight? An Investigation of Loyalty Formation in the Restaurant Industry", Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, Vol. 20, No.5, p. 501-524
- Bowden, J. 2009, "Customer engagement - A framework for assessing customer-brand relationships: The case of the restaurant industry", Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 574-596
- Bowden, J., 2009, "The process of customer engagement: a conceptual framework," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.63
- Bowden, J. & Corkindale, D. 2005, "Identifying the initial target consumer for innovations: An integrative approach", Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 562-573
- Bowden, J. 2009, "A solid relationship: The customer engagement imperative & the new approach to customer-brand bonding," Communique Magazine BMW Motors (SA), Autumn, pp. 36-37.
- Bowden, J., 2008, "Engagement: Old wine in a new bottle?," Admap, Vol. 496, pp. 43-45.
- Bowden, J. 2006, Marketing Plan: Fruitburst Ultrajuice, p. 455-471 In W. Pride, S. Rundle-Thiele, D Waller, G. Elliott, A. Paladino, O. Ferrell, "Marketing Core Concepts & Applications", John Wiley & Sons: Milton, QLD
- 2016 Brand engagement report and presentation to management: Consumer brand engagement, attitudes and perceptions of the Rock Your Baby children’s retail clothing label
- 2016 Consumer engagement and website design report to management : Oobi children’s retail clothing brand
- 2012 City of Ryde Qualitative Report: Community perceptions, attitudes, opinions and customer engagement (Funded via an Enterprise Partnership Grant $65k)
- "Conceptualising customer engagement, disengagement and wellbeing within local government services: A transformative service approach", Invited presentation, Customer engagement and interactivity workshop, July 2014, University of Adelaide, South Australia with K. Naumann *Paper invited for inclusion as a book chapter on customer engagement
- "The Process of customer engagement, self-brand connections and loyalty within hedonic and utilitarian services," Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, December 2013, Auckland, New Zealand with K. Naumann
- "Us versus Them : the operation of customer engagement and customer disengagement within a local government service setting", Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, December 2013, Auckland, New Zealand with K. Naumann
- "The process of customer engagement, self-brand connections and loyalty within hedonic and utilitarian services", 3rd International Consumer-Brand Relationship Colloquium, Rollins College, September 2013, Florida with K. Naumann *Best Paper award
- "Exploring the positive and negative aspects of customer-brand relationships: Why disengagement matters", World Marketing Congress, Academy of Marketing Science, July 2013, Melbourne, Australia with M.Gabbott
- "An appealing connection - The role of relationship marketing in the attraction and retention of students in an Australian tertiary context ", World Marketing Congress, Academy of Marketing Science, July 2013, Melbourne, Australia with D.Moore
- "What's in a relationship? Affective commitment and the First Year Tertiary Experience," Expanding Horizons Learning & Teaching Symposium, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, September 2012.
- "An appealing connection - The role of relationship marketing in the attraction and retention of tertiary students in an Australian context", Expanding Horizons Learning & Teaching Symposium, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, September 2012, with D. Moore.
- A delightful experience? The role of delight in loyalty formation, Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy, Perth, Australia, November 2011, with T. Dagger
- The student as customer. Relationship management in higher education, Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy, Perth, Australia, November 2011.
- "The Dynamics of Customer Engagement: Does Service Experience Matter?" Invited Presenter - Special Session: Enhancing Service Design and Experience through Co-creation and interactivity, Global Conference on Service Excellence, Service Innovations - Creating Sustainable Growth, July 2010, Singapore Management University, Singapore
- "Earning Customer Loyalty: The Role of Satisfaction, Trust & Delight," World Marketing Congress, Academy of Marketing Science, July 2009, Oslo, Norway, with T. Dagger & G. Elliott.
- "Is it enough to satisfy or should we be engaging?" Conference Poster Presentation, Proceedings of ANZMAC, December 2006, Faculty of Business, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- "The process of consumer engagement: A conceptual framework," Proceedings of the 41st Academy of Marketing, July 2007, Kingston Business School, Kingston University, Egham, Surrey, London
- "Customer engagement: a diagnostic framework for assessing customer-brand relationships," Proceedings of the 17th International Colloquium on Relationship Marketing, Relationship marketing summit, December 2007, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- "Segmenting customer-brand relationships: the process of customer engagement," Proceedings of ANZMAC, December 2007, School of Business, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- of: Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy, Australia/New Zealand
- of: UK Academy of Marketing, United Kingdom
Affiliations / activities
Invited Reviewer for the following Journals:
- European Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management
- Studies in Higher Education
- Tourism Management
Editorial Board and Review for the following Journals:
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice
- Journal of Service Theory and Practice
- Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice
- Journal of Strategic Marketing
- Journal of Services Marketing
- 2016 – continuing: Master of Research Advisor, Department of Marketing & Management
- 2014 –continuing: Faculty Human Research Ethics Committee
- 2015: Academic Standards and Quality Committee ASQC, Standing committee of the Academic Senate - Alternate Representative
- 2009 – 2011: Faculty Research Committee - Early Career Researcher Representative
- 2010 – 2011: Faculty Disciplinary Committee
- 2011-2012: Teaching Academy chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor
- 2010 – 2011: First Year Experience Committee chaired by the Pro Vice Chancellor
- 2011-2012: Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award Selection Committee chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor
PhD and Masters Supervision
- Naumann, K. - Conceptualisation and measurement of consumer engagement, disengagement and negative engagement. 2013 F/T, PHD;MKMT - Supervision PhD – Principal, M. Gabbott - Associate.
- Jaafar-Ng, M. – The effect of brand transgression on consumer engagement within social media. 2017 F/T, PHD; MKMT – Supervision Master of Research – Principal.
- Completed Honours 2012, Kay Naumann; Awarded a First Class Grade. Title: Exploring the operation of customer engagement across multiple service sectors.
- Completed Honours 2011, Duncan Moore; Title: Understanding the role of relationship orientation on relationship marketing outcomes in the Australian higher education sector.
Media Mentions (Recent)
- Stay on the bright side of the customer engagement road, BusinessPropel.com.au, NSW Business Chamber, November, 2016, online interview with Dr Ray Welling
- Chronological is so yesterday: what the Instagram change means for brand managers, Marketingmag.com.au, Opinion Editorial, March 2016, online
- Jekyll and Hyde: the double-edged sword of social media, Marketingmag.com.au, Opinion Editorial, May 2016, online
- Bank ad campaigns backfire: customers dissatisfied, ready to leave experts say,The Sydney Morning Herald, April 22, 2015, interview with Esther Han
- Bank dissatisfaction, radio interview with Stuart Bocking for 2UE, 2015
- The Achilles Heel of bank satisfaction polling, Marketingmag.com.au, Opinion Editorial, April 2015, online
- Banking satisfaction scores reach record highs, but are we measuring the right thing? Marketingmag.com.au, Opinion Editorial, April 2015, online
- Marketing Fundamentals (Introductory Marketing)
- Services Marketing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Customer Relationship Management
Overview of Academic Employment
- 2013 Appointed to Senior Lecturer in Marketing (continuing), Macquarie University
- 2009 appointed Lecturer in Marketing (Continuing), Macquarie University
- 2006 Faculty Scholarship - Doctoral program, Macquarie University