Matias Vaira Lucero
- Title: Mr
- Position: PhD Student - Department of Economics
- Tani, M., Piracha, M., Mahuteau, S., Vaira-Lucero, M. (2012). Immigration Policy and Entrepreneurship. XXVIth Annual Conference of the European Society of Population Economics held in Bern, Switzerland – June 20-23 2012
- Vaira-Lucero, M., Tani, M. & Nahm, D. (2011). "The impact of the 1996 US immigration policy reform (IIRIRA) on Mexican migrants' remittances". XXVth Annal Conference of the European Society of Population Economics held in Hang Zhou, China – June 16-18 2011
- Load: PhD Student Full Time
- Principal supervisor:
Doctor Massimiliano Tani Bertuol
- Associate supervisor:
- Date of submission: 01/02/2013
- Thesis title: Migrants' Remitting and Saving Behaviours
Since migrants' remittances and savings play an important role in poverty alleviation and economic development as they are sources for capital accumulation, identifying what factors determine and drive migrants' economic behaviour is extremely relevant. This project contains three interconnected studies: the effect of migration policies on remittances' behaviour; the relationship between migrants' wealth and their degree of assimilation into the host country; and how migrants' savings habits are driven by their feelings regarding assimilation. The first section of this study evaluates the effect of policies on migrants' remittances using data from The Mexican Migration Project Survey (MMP) which contain detailed information about legal and illegal Mexican migrants in US and their remittances. The other two sections focus in Australian migrants analysing their wealth and savings habits using The Household Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey (HILDA) which contain information for a panel of individuals interviewed since 2001. The expected outcome of the project will be a clear understanding of the major factors affecting migrants' remittances and saving behaviour, which will be of relevance to policy makers to have detailed evaluations of immigration policies and their expected economic impact.
- Vaira-Lucero, M., Tani, M. & Nahm, D. (2012). "The impact of the 1996 US immigration policy reform (IIRIRA) on Mexican migrants’ remittances". IZA Discussion Paper, No 6546
- Tani, M., Piracha, M., Mahuteau, S., Vaira-Lucero, M. (2011). Immigration Policy and Entrepreneurship. IZA Discussion Paper, No 6238.